Duck Questions

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I had a few more duck questions...

There's so many different sounds ducks make. And people talk about the soft raspy male quack and the louder ducks. It seems also like my ducks don't make the sounds like that.

They do a long HEEE HEEE HEEE call that sounds like they are laughing at you. One or two of them do this but not all of the time. (Do yours do this kind of weird noise?) My brother said it sounds like they are laughing at us also. (Not sure if its gender related. But I haven't seen anyone bring this up.)

And sometimes they do other sounds.

And it sounds like I have 4 or 5 (at least) that sound raspy.

The other sound I hear often is almost like honking instead of quacking. I don't understand if the honking which sounds sort of low but deep is male or female. And I think 1 honks, and one semi-honks. I don't hear any quacks actually, it sounds like emphysema quacks and geese like honks. (Mostly pekings)

One of them seems to hate being picked up even more than the others (among the pekings). I think that maybe I wanted to ask if 'hating being picked up' more than normal can be gender related also? (Or ring leader, pecking order related?)

And one of them is very chatty and noisy (but still a duckling).
One of the odd quacks that doesn't fit the gender identification articles is a mellow, almost like low growled 3 clucks in a row, but not quite a cluck either. (what's that about?) This is like 3 low quick connected grunts together. (Does this have anything to do with gender?)

So why I'm bringing this up...

I'm like 1 week short of 7 months old on all but 2 of the ducks. Haven't seen a single egg.

I'm thinking it may be that I have only males.

But is it possible that if I don't have water or a small pool that this could have made them stressed out? (My yard has tons of buckets that are full, and always near the top with water. There's 3 in the pen like this and in the yard an additional 4. (5 gallon buckets also, and they can reach them.) I just haven't gone the kiddie pool, route.

But could not having open pools have likely made them not lay?

Thanks for advise.

If I can't solve this soon, I'm going to have to get the hatchet out and make some meat. I feel kind of mad...

Its possible that Cal Ranch was only selling males and that the guy selling the ducks to them, only gave them boys, to keep the egg layers for himself. I want to think otherwise but I've been pretty aggressive about food. So why am I not getting any eggs yet...

And I just saw an online ad in my area for someone selling ducks that says theirs are almost 4 months old and will be laying eggs soon... and they are selling pekings also.

Why is it so different?

Back
Top Bottom