Duck Questions?

kashoaf

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
Hello as I am new to this.. We put a baby duck in March.. Just to be silly and have fun.. She is white and has orange feet/beak. i think she is a Pekin(sp) duck. So far so good... We have her with our chickens...
When will she start to lay(will she thru the winter or will she start next spring)?
What are the signs of her going to lay?
How warm do we need to keep her in the winter?
Sorry for all the questions. But we are new to this and of course only want the best.
Please email us at [email protected] with any advice or information you may have.
Thank You and God Bless!

Last edited:
She should be laying by now. Some hold off until the next spring. Also what have you been feeding? Are you supplementing with light? And finally is it a girl for sure? Ducks can handle colds better then chicken. So whatever works for your chicken will work for your duck.

Pekin's are Very cold winter hardy duck's.Most standard breed's are.My brother gave me 2 stragler Domesticated Mallard drakes last Nov.I kept them up for 2 week's but after that they stayed out ALLLL winter on small pond and almost 2 feet of snow on for almost 3 months here.The first flock I had of pekin's 5 year's ago I could NOT get them in pen etc. for nothing!.If it's hen it should be laying an egg soon. I got new Pekin's In April and they laid in Sept.I have 4 new duckling's already from them and 5 of thier other egg's going to hatcher tomm.If the duck has a trained area it may go back readily at night.Look at the tail if it has a Kewpie lil curly feather in the tip it's a male.It should have sign's by now I had 4 hens one drake the drake had the curly tail.

Back
Top Bottom