Duck raisers need advice!

4-H chicken mom

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Oberlin, OH
My daughter and I would like to get a few ducks. We have a creek that runs through our property that has a really wide pool area. I have always thought it would be neat to have ducks swimming around. There have been wild ducks stop by but they never stay long. What would be a good duck for a first timer? Are some ducks hardier than others? Do ducks come back to their pen at night like chickens do? I am afraid if they don't, predators might get them. Also, do they need swimming water in the winter? I'm in northern Ohio, winters are terrible here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
idunno.gif

For a first-time duck owner, I'd reccomend Pekins, Rouans or Khaki Cambels. All these should stay at home and they will go in at night if you get them young and only feed them in the building for a while after getting them. Once you put them on the creek, still only feed them in the building!

I recommend Pekins as #1. Also cayugas, swedishs, rouens, indian runners... khaki campbells, & possibly mallards. I also have muscovies... they're great birds but sometimes have a hard time mixing with other ducks.

if you can get Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks (not sure that's exactly right) from the library you'd find a lot of great info! It talks a lot about the characteristics of each breed. Which are noisy, sizes, flying ability, and much mucn more.

My daughter and I would like to get a few ducks. We have a creek that runs through our property that has a really wide pool area. I have always thought it would be neat to have ducks swimming around. There have been wild ducks stop by but they never stay long.

What would be a good duck for a first timer? Are some ducks hardier than others? Pekins, rouens any heavy breed will be hardier than a lighter weight duck or muscovies, which do better in warmer climates.
Do ducks come back to their pen at night like chickens do? No, they need to be trained or rounded up each night.

I am afraid if they don't, predators might get them.
If you have predators, you might want to rethink unsupervised creek time and lock them up at night.
Also, do they need swimming water in the winter?
They don't NEED it, but will enjoy it. You can use a kiddie pool or buckets deep enough for them to get their head into to wash their nares (nostrils) and eyes. You will need to make sure the water is fresh and thawed in winter.
I'm in northern Ohio, winters are terrible here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom