duck ramp...

AnaD

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
N. Ca
Can anyone give me ideas about how to make a duck ramp or what to use to make one? I think our pond will be about 1 1/2' off the ground and I guess I have to make sure it is wide enough so they don't fall off. Do they also need something for their feet to grip on to?

Thanks in advance
smile.png

I usually just prop a 2x8 board up on a couple of bricks when making a ramp. Be sure there is a big rock or a couple of bricks for them to rest on in the pool.

Here's what I use as a pond in my duck pen with the ramp I built for them to get up onto it. It's about 40cm wide (about 1.3 feet). It's at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. I have since put dowel with a semi-circular profile ("half round" dowel) onto each bit of timber on the ramp part (you can just see this in the second pic). It was too slippery without the dowel.

80856_img_4525.jpg

80856_p1050762.jpg

You can see in the second pic that I have made a similar ramp for the ducks (and me) to use to get into the pen. It also had the dowel put onto it and it's stopped me from falling over a few times so I can tell you that it works!!
smile.png
I used to have bricks in the pool but they were a pain to remove every time I wanted to clean it (which is every day). So I got rid of the bricks and made the ramp out of heavy gauge mesh and it works a treat!! Mostly the ducks don't use it but it's there if they need it. You can tell that no ducks had yet been in this pool when the pic was taken
lol.png

70%cocoa :

Here's what I use as a pond in my duck pen with the ramp I built for them to get up onto it. It's about 40cm wide (about 1.3 feet). It's at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. I have since put dowel with a semi-circular profile ("half round" dowel) onto each bit of timber on the ramp part (you can just see this in the second pic). It was too slippery without the dowel.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80856_img_4525.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80856_p1050762.jpg

You can see in the second pic that I have made a similar ramp for the ducks (and me) to use to get into the pen. It also had the dowel put onto it and it's stopped me from falling over a few times so I can tell you that it works!!
smile.png
I used to have bricks in the pool but they were a pain to remove every time I wanted to clean it (which is every day). So I got rid of the bricks and made the ramp out of heavy gauge mesh and it works a treat!! Mostly the ducks don't use it but it's there if they need it. You can tell that no ducks had yet been in this pool when the pic was taken
lol.png

This is absolutley perfect!! I was searching for a duck ramp since my Muscovy has to house with the chickens for awhile and the current ramp isn't up to her standards.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom