Duck randomly bleeding underneath her feathers?

matttebs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
New York
Hi everyone!

A few of you may know me on here, but as of late one duck in particular has been bleeding from underneath her wing?

My assumption is that her feathers were pulled out? (They're about 8 weeks old at this point) Or this is some form of molting?

The bleeding is never too heavy, we had cleaned her up the first time it happened, and the second time it occurred, a quick bath was enough to clean her up

What do you guys think? Do you think one of the other ducks is plucking out her feathers? Or she is doing this to herself? Is it normal?

(P.S. I haven't seen this happen to any other ducks, however, the one in question is a Pekin which tend to grow faster)

Ducklings will do this when blood feathers start coming in, seems they will single out one too, might need to give them something to do besides picking on each other, hang a head of lettuce or cabbage in their brooder and make sure the brooder isn't too small, close quarters can cause this also. dig some sod dirt and all bring in and let them play with it for a few days replace as needed.

Back
Top Bottom