Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
First post, so please bear with me.
A few weeks back after much research I finally jumped into the backyard fowl and got 5 Muscovy who are now 8 weeks old. These are a complete first for me, I've never had ducks or chickens before. As nature would have it I ended up with three drakes and two ducks. At this stage I'm planning on selling two of the drakes or butchering them (if I can bear it). Initially I had only intended to get Muscovies mainly because they are quiet and local regs only allow for chickens. Well, my town just pulled a fast one on me and decided to allow ducks also (by a unanimous vote). So now, I can get quackers and not worry about the neighbors. I'm planning on getting some Khaki Campbells which will give me some some good egg layers, and keep the Muscovy as meat ducks.
My plan is to have 2 female Muscovy and 1 drake
3 or 4 female Khaki Campbells and 1 drake (purchase the drake either now or in the future)
First questions is, will I seriously regret trying to bring in new birds and get two flocks to integrate together and share the same duck house? The duck house is sufficient size and so is the run.
Any personal experience with this I would love to hear, I have fallen in love with my Muscovies and don't want a war on my hands. (but I do want eggs LOL)
If my Muscovy drake only has two ladies, will he be happy, or will he try to mate with the Khakis? At this point it's not a huge deal, but when I want to hatch new layers, I want pure Khakis, not cross breeds.
Should I wait to get a male Khaki until I need to refresh my flock or would it be good to have a male just to keep the Muscovy drake in check?
Will three Khaki females be enough for a Khaki drake or will he try to mate with the Muscovies?
The photo is of Jack my keeper drake
20201014_124342.jpg
Thank you for any help.

You can integrate them into one coop. I have 10 ducks and 5 muscovy living in one coop. It takes time to integrate the flocks together and will require separate areas in and out of the coop. You want to start with them both outside but in adjacent penned areas. After a week or more, they spend time in the common area together. You can have them sleep in the coop together at this point, but they should be separated so they can't hurt one another at night. After about a week or so, they can all be together at night. If you don't have the room to keep them separated, then it could be an issue. I would also recommend getting the male at the same time as the females or you will need to go through the process twice.

I can't say if the khaki male will need more females or not. My male is too young, but the khakis are more high energy than my other duck breeds. Granted, my male saxony was interested in the muscovy females and was told off by the muscovy male. The saxony has lots of females to keep him happy, but isn't really interested in some of them. So you don't always know what they will do.

Awesome, thank you for the helpful info. I do have a way to break the run up to keep them separated for a time and I can provide a separate sleeping area for the Khakis for a week or so. Good to know about Khakis being high energy, my hope is that having a male for both breeds will help keep the cross breeding down.

Just so you are aware, you will still see a bit of fighting as they work things out, but the slow introduction will reduce it. Best of luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom