1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck rehabilitation after an attack - Pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by apricotvalleywf, Aug 8, 2014.

1. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Millbrook, Ontario
    My Coop
    Hi everyone, thought I would share some photos and unfortunately I am not looking for any tips or tricks! I am totally happy with what I did and have great success doing the same thing in the past for horses.

Our poor little duck came to us from another farm after being attacked by a Norway rat at roughly 4-5 weeks of age.

I treated the duck with clindamyacin, nitrofurazine, dermagel, equaide, polysporin and did a good iodine rinse on day 1. Worked like a charm.

Day 1, when I went to pick him up. (he is blue runner drake btw):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice and soapy.

[​IMG]

Day 2, he is isolated because he is quite a few weeks younger than any other ducklings we have. We spent a lot of couch time together.

[​IMG]

Day 3 having fun while the polysporin is soaking up.

[​IMG]

Day 4 outside getting some fresh air and hydrotherapy

[​IMG]

Day 7 - after quite a few baths and social time with another smaller sized duckling his big scab finally peeled off and looked AWESOME. The scab just about made us throw up.

[​IMG]

Day 8 continuing the good progress with polysporin treatments and dermagel.

[​IMG]

Day 9-10 Nice small scab is forming and bringing the skin back in tighter, awesome.

[​IMG]

Day 13-14 - he is back out with his chicken friends regardless of our many attempts of re-uniting him with his duck 'buddies'. He seems to naturally flock to the much less aggressive chickens. Our 2 flocks may be intimidating since we have 50+ currently.

[​IMG]

Day 15-17 - Final update photo, I am pretty sure I can get his feathers to cover the initial cuts up completely:

[​IMG]

Hopefully this helps someone else moving forward. I didn't think he would heal as well as he did seeing the condition he was in when I got him. I believe his young age was a massive factor.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow you have done an awesome job with him, I can't believe a rat could do that do you think the intent was to eat the duckling? He looks so good is he going to be living with you now?

3. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Millbrook, Ontario
    My Coop
    My friend heavily suspects its a rat because she found tunnels underneath her barn and a dead rat earlier this spring. She had some other ducklings die that were attacked in a similar way. We're 99% sure it was a rat, but we don't know for sure. He is definitely staying on our farm and joining our breeding program. My hope is to breed him this fall, he has Holderread lines and all of our other ducks are direct holderread descendants!

I really am amazed at how fast he healed, i'm glad we got to him when we did. Thanks for the comments!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He is beautiful that's for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by