Duck Release Help

blissfulbirds

Songster
Aug 7, 2020
I had 6 mallards who we rescued from abandonment and they are currently 11 weeks old. We would have released them sooner but one was late to develop his flight feathers and we wanted them to stay together. Currently, two have flown away and are on their own, and we are left with 4. We will be releasing them very soon and we have a few options, I was hoping anyone could give advice on which will be best for the ducks.

Number 1 is letting them stay in our stream and field, letting them fly off when they are ready but possibly not together.
Number 2 would be releasing them in a local pond a few minutes away from our home, which was our plan until we discovered a large snapping turtle there.
Number 3 is a friends pond a while away, which I don't really know much about...

I want the best for these guys so any advice helps. For some extra info, they forage and mainly feed themselves here, and we have tried to keep them as wild as possible. They are alone all day but get put in a small enclosure for night protection. The two that flew away came back one day, and then flew off again and only one came back, but he flew off again. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this and help out, it is much appreciated.
:hugs

I'd wait until the other is ready. If the ones that flew off are coming back it means they see each other as flockmates and would preffer to travel together if they can. Ducks like a lot of water and are often seen in waters with snapping turtles in them naturally, so any one of those options should work. I might be wrong but I believe wild duck breeds migrate yearly and naturally return to their home territory each year. That being said, correct me if i'm wrong, since i'm no expert on wild duck breeds. Also, does your county allow that kinda stuff??? Might ask your local fish and game about the best option if they don't allow it where you are?

I'd wait until the other is ready. If the ones that flew off are coming back it means they see each other as flockmates and would preffer to travel together if they can. Ducks like a lot of water and are often seen in waters with snapping turtles in them naturally, so any one of those options should work. I might be wrong but I believe wild duck breeds migrate yearly and naturally return to their home territory each year. That being said, correct me if i'm wrong, since i'm no expert on wild duck breeds. Also, does your county allow that kinda stuff??? Might ask your local fish and game about the best option if they don't allow it where you are?
Thank you for your insight! I definitely will try to keep them together as a flock.

Back
Top Bottom