Duck Respiratory Diseases?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cochins1088, Oct 30, 2013.

1. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I've heard that ducks and geese have relatively few diseases when compared to chickens so I have never quarantined new waterfowl before. This past weekend I was at a poultry show and I was talked into buying a trio butterscotch call ducks. Because they were at the show and potentially exposed to disease from the 1000's of other birds, I decided to play it safe and quarantine them. I don't have any quarantine areas suitable for ducks, so they are temporarily in a large dog kennel that is 30 in. by 18 in. in an old farm house.

The second day of bringing them home, I noticed that I could hear one of the ducks breathing. It didn't sound distressed, but it was much louder than normal. It was similar to when people get stuffy noses. The next day, another duck began doing this. Now's it's only been 3 days since I bought them, but this makes me nervous.

Are there any respiratory diseases that affect ducks and are fairly common? Keeping a dog kennel with 3 ducks dry is difficult, so the hay is wet most of the time. I'd like to get them to a more permanent set up as quickly as possible, but I don't want to endanger my current flocks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here is a link to some info, Ducks are very hardy but wet bedding can lead to what is called aspergillosis[ it's in the link I am giving you, Brooder pneumonia. Do you have and Oxine ah? you can mix this 6oz to a gallon of warm water and fine spray over top of their heads onto their faces for respiratory symptoms you can also put into a cool mist vaporizer and run in their house,. http://runnerduck.net/diseases/ more info
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/chicken-fungal-infections
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

3. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Do you know how fast Aspergillosis can cause symptoms? They've been in the dog kennel for 4 days and started showing labored breathing 2 days ago. Aspergillosis makes sense, but can the symptoms really develop that quickly? I guess the best solution in that case would be to get them out of the dog kennel and incorporate them with the rest of the flock in dry clean conditions.

They seem fine, it's just their louder breathing that makes me nervous. My main worry is that if they are sick, they'll infect the rest of my flock.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't think it would come on that quick but not sure actually how long have to see if we can find some info about that, Can you make them a temporary pen where they are now so they would at least be out of the dog crate, I really wouldn't put them with your flock till you know what your dealing with. Do you have them something they can clean out their nares in, do you have other ducks? then you probably know they need a deep container to wash their faces to keep from having eye and respiratory issues. I would switch from hay to shavings too, hay straw just doesn't absorb the wetness that ducks can make so it can become moldy pretty quick. you didn't say if you have any oxine ah... if you don't then use or get some un pasteurized ACV and start putting it into their water, they can drink it and also use it to wash their faces. It has some anti bacterial proprieties and is also used as a tonic to strengthen the immune system. I can give you a link about it if you'd like.

5. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Give them 1-2 Tab to 1 gallon of water so they can really wash their nares out good. If I was you I'd take out the hay and use the pellets or at least mix them together. then when you can make them a larger pen use straight pellets, Amiga on here uses the pellets where she keeps her ducks drinking water. How old are these ducks? You said your keeping them in an old farm house could there be mold in there some where? water fowl and poultry in general have a sensitive respiratory tract. I'd try to get them into a larger area soon as you can.

7. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    The drake is 3 years old, one of the hens is 2 years old, and the other hen is 1 year old. They're a beautiful trio of butterscotch call ducks.

There is definitely mold in the old farm house. We moved out of that house 12 years ago and it has just sat there ever since. The basement has flooded numerous times and the drywall in the basement is completely covered in mold. I had figured that I could use the upper floors as temporary means of quarantine. I also have a pair of chickens in quarantine in the attic, but they haven't showed any signs of respiratory problems.

Yikes... Sounds like I need to get them out of there... Where am I going to put them...

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have a laundry room or a room your not using in your home? I know but temporary till they have recovered and are breathing normal again. Just a thought, try them on the ACV and keep the windows open in the house not where air can blow right over them but so they have some good ventilation I keep the windows in my coops and houses open at the top in the winter for air flow. And it gets pretty cold here.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This is what I have been thinking, too.

10. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by