Duck roomies

Reeweiss

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2018
We got 4 baby ducks and we raised them in the garage about 3 months untill we were able to provide a fenced in pond and good size duck coop for the 4 fun cuties. 3 we are positive are girls one is in question. Then a friend needed to rehome her 1 and half year old Pekin male. We thought we have the perfect place he would be happy so she brought him and the first day the duck in question only approx 2 -3 months old chased the large Pekin around. The next day we come to let them out of the coop and all ducks are now afraid of the older Pekin. Please help me solve the room mate problem. I truly want there to be peace and happiness. I sit and watch over the flock, they have isolated them selves from him and when One of them get a little close he nips at them. (He was raised prior only around people) but if any of us enter the enclosure he tries to nip us as well. I have been giving him dominance lessons and he seems to be adjusting to me and calming down but how do I help my flock?

Keep them separated so they h can only see each other through fencing. A 1.5 yr old Pekin drake doesn’t need to be around young ducklings he may have to live separate till late summer when hormones wane.keep up the dominance training between you and him though.Once fall gets here he will be calmer and the ducklings will be older and able to defend themselves better

Lil Drake-40 Thank you, that makes perfect sense. We have a place he can stay at night seperate from the clutch, but if I seperate him all day as well he will not have access to the pond, should he have access to a pool?

Yep a pool will be fine. You just want them all to be able to live side by side so they can get use to each other but big guy won’t have access right now
Such a great plan. We will keep them close. I do want them to become family and chat but I do want them all safe. Thank you for all the great advice.

If the one in question is a drake, your ratio is already off. Hopefully, it turns out to be a female otherwise you will have more issues later on with overmating and drake issues.
3 months for pekins is fully grown, right? By 24 weeks they start to lay eggs. Unless your other ducks are not pekins?
I would definitely separate him for a week, but really if your other ducks are pekins or another large breed duck you shouldn't have too many problems integrating - except like I said if the questionable one turns out to be male.

Back
Top Bottom