Duck Roosing... thinks it's a chicken - With Picture

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nifty-Chicken, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

When we hatched our ducklings we were really worried that they wouldn't put themselves to bed at night in the run to keep safe from predators. It took us a few weeks to herd them into the run each night until they got the idea.

We thought it was pretty cool when they started to go into the run at night.

After a few months we thought it was funny / interesting that they started to climb the ramp to go and sleep on the floor of the raised coop... under the chickens.

A few months later we thought it was really funny / weird that one of them would jump up and roost with the chickens!?!

Silly duck!

[​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Is that a Muscovy duck? It's not unusual for them to roost. They do in the wild.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, Muscovies (and some Muscovy hybrids) often roost in trees, so it's not unusual for them to roost like chickens. Cute pic, though.

4. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    It's a beautiful duck, and I love to see her up there with her chicken friends,
    not out looking for some lone branch.
    [​IMG]

Thank you for the picture.

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Cute!

Our scovy roosts on the top of the other duck's dog house inside the night pen. She looks like a guardian angel but I worry about her getting cold up there. At least your gal has some buddies to keep her warm.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I guess you learn after getting hit on your head once or twice with the unexpected. [​IMG]

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Yup, scovy cross... so I guess that explains it! [​IMG]

8. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    I found my white runner (avatar) on the roost on several occasions. Shocked me. Very odd. Pretty sure she's not a scovy.

9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    this reminds me f my goose [​IMG]
    i have a roost in my run that is held up by 2 tree stumps. when my chickens roost on the branch my goose will jump about 2 ft up on her stump and sleep next to her chickens off the ground.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    we lost one of our ducks and while we were looking for another we put our duck in the coop with our 12 week old chicks she would climb up and roost with them. She is Khaki Campbell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by