Duck Run - soliciting ideas

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
We have an 8x8 duck barn, and are going to have a large run for the ducks as well as let them free range when they are fully grown. However, we want a predator proof small run they can access when we are out of town for the weekend from their barn. Trying to find some the best idea that is secure.

Idea one is a dog run with a covered top, and 3 feet of hardware cloth on the bottom portion of the run. This would allow us to access it to clean it, eTc.

Idea two is a wood framed 3 foot tall 10x10 pen completely done in hardware cloth. Not sure of design, so ideas welcome.

Opinions, plans, ideas on which is better? Thanks!

My ducks like to sleep outside, especially in warmer weather, so they sometimes sleep right up against the fence. A raccoon could certainly grab them if there wasn't hardware cloth along the bottom. I think 3 feet or so is enough. The duck pen ALWAYS is a mess, so you better have an easy way to access it.

My ducks like to sleep outside, especially in warmer weather, so they sometimes sleep right up against the fence.  A raccoon could certainly grab them if there wasn't hardware cloth along the bottom.  I think 3 feet or so is enough.  The duck pen ALWAYS is a mess, so you better have an easy way to access it.

Yeah, we plan to have them in at night, but summer vacations, etc, I want to have the safest place possible for them since I can't control where they go when we're not here. I'd hate to overlook something and end up losing any.

Back
Top Bottom