Duck Run

I know this is old but I had a friend who had a fox and her kits jump/climb their 6' fence/run and kill everyone of her hens. Apparently they are very agile creatures. Just a warning. I hope you have not had any problems since this post. Excellent job by the way.
1f609.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Cheers, I've not had any problems yet fortunately but I am in the process of putting a roof on as we've had some really bad weather lately and when it rains too heavily the water starts to pool a little in places, so that should eliminate the last chance old mr fox has of getting at them ;)

Cheers, I've not had any problems yet fortunately but I am in the process of putting a roof on as we've had some really bad weather lately and when it rains too heavily the water starts to pool a little in places, so that should eliminate the last chance old mr fox has of getting at them ;)

Hello, well so glad to hear you haven't had any problems! How did the slate work out, I'm curious. I'm thinking of adding large river rocks and paving stones in the area where the ducks small stock tank will be. I'm hoping that will cut down on mud. My ducklings come in about a month so I'm preparing as much as possible. I also have sand in the rest of my run which I have always loved.

Hello, well so glad to hear you haven't had any problems! How did the slate work out, I'm curious. I'm thinking of adding large river rocks and paving stones in the area where the ducks small stock tank will be. I'm hoping that will cut down on mud. My ducklings come in about a month so I'm preparing as much as possible. I also have sand in the rest of my run which I have always loved.

Unfortunately the slate is a sodding nightmare! The drainage is great and the ducks seem to have no issues walking on it, but because of the way the slate lays in flat layers it's ****-near impossible to hose the poop away like I'd planned. I still think that gravel would work - in fact I'm on the hunt for some reasonably priced gravel at the moment to replace it with, but it only seems to be sharp flint gravel around here with I think would hurt their feet.

Unfortunately the slate is a sodding nightmare! The drainage is great and the ducks seem to have no issues walking on it, but because of the way the slate lays in flat layers it's ****-near impossible to hose the poop away like I'd planned. I still think that gravel would work - in fact I'm on the hunt for some reasonably priced gravel at the moment to replace it with, but it only seems to be sharp flint gravel around here with I think would hurt their feet.

Oh man, that's a bummer. Well I hope you find the gravel you are looking for.
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom