1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Sanctuary : I released them!!(new Pic)!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bantymum, Feb 9, 2008.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I took my 4 drakes out to a lovely place yesterday and released them onto the dam which has a waterfall at one end going into another pond.
    There are 2 geese that have been there for 2 years and I spotted some wild ducks with ducklings.
    There are lots of little waterliliy pads in the middle and reed plantings which double as an island.
    I released the boys and watched them fly across the water and disappear into a reed island.
    The geese came and checked them out and I sat there waiting for them to come out again, but I guess they were to scared. Im going back out as soon as I can to check on them.
    I know they will love the space. Theres lots of fishies and water weeds for food.
    Here is a section of the dam:
    [​IMG]
    The owner is a pheasant breeder and knows alot about waterfowl too.
    He is looking for some other ducks to put on there so Im going to suggest we have a rescue type thing where they can all coexist happily. I just need to find more ducks.
    Yes I know that the ecosystem will be altered but the size of the dam should protect it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    WOw thats really neat !
    And great that you can go back and peek in on them!

3. bantymum

Yes I intend to go out there often, it is the nicest place that Ive ever seen.
    Ill phone him shortly to see how they are.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Looks beautifull! I bet those are going to be some happy boys. What a great Mum...to give them the freedom they need.

5. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    [​IMG] Those are going to be some happy ducks!

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    That is such a peaceful and serene looking place!! Those ducks will be really happy there, you did great!! [​IMG]

7. bantymum

:loveThankyou guys, I had an awful afternoon and evening last night thinking about them all alone out there. I was so worried but I woke up feeling more positive.
    I phoned Wyne this afternoon and he said they were all there on the middle of the dam in the reeds.
    He took 4 pics of them yesterday and today and I cant open them on the email he sent me. Must be something wrong, im going to email him in a sec, Ive been reading alley's post about her husband, such a sad time for her and it made me feel so guilty worrying about my ducks when she is having such a difficult time there. Puts it all into perspective.
    Anyhow ill go to sleep now and hopefully wake up to good news here.
    Have a great day everyone.[​IMG]

8. bantymum

PS there is a waterfall to the far right which I cant fit in the photo but i will upload pic from photobucket. This place is in the middle of nowhere ~a secret hideaway just 3/4 of an hour drive from where i live.
    The house is just over a small hill near the waterfall so he can hear them on the water in case of any mishaps.

9. bantymum

Well they have settled in and look really happy
    I kept the pic larger than usual as it is so pretty!
    The nice thing about this place is it is on a private property so they wont get hassled by humans.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, If I was a duck, thats EXACTLY where I would want to be......heck...I STILL want to be there! LOL Nice spot. They DO look content!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by