Duck severely limping

Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
For background information, this duck was born with wry neck and still has an issue from that, but was corrected as best I could so she already has a weird gate and her neck is always weird. But other than that she has been relatively healthy and active. But today I went to the coop and I saw her not moving at all. When I approached her, she was flapping her wings and hobbling away. Usually she’s pretty fast but I was able to catch her easily, looked at her legs and her wings and her feet, but all look normal. She is also sitting away from all the ducks, when they did come up to her to get out of the coop they all ran over her and she didn’t have a reaction. Is there anything I can do besides separating her for now?

How old is the duck, what is her diet, and with what vitamins have you treated her wry neck? Is she given extra niacin, b complex, or nutritional yeast?

The duck is 2 years old, I feed all flock feed, and normally give vitamins to the water. When a baby she was given the vitamin B complex and the duravest vitamin and mineral water additives.

My main concern is her all the suddenly not being able to walk wel. And severely limping.

Let me see if I can get a video of her walking for you

The first 2 photos are of her neck at arresting position The videos of her walking one is better than the other.

Attachments

• AE08EA3F-129C-4DE6-B2BD-8E4928F477FC.jpeg
    AE08EA3F-129C-4DE6-B2BD-8E4928F477FC.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 3AEF140C-003E-4221-BF03-9B7098079D1D.jpeg
    3AEF140C-003E-4221-BF03-9B7098079D1D.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 2
Here is another
Could she have been injured by a drake or a predator, dog, etc? I am going to tag @Miss Lydia for help, since I am more familiar with chicken issues.
I highly doubt it was a predator since I usually only let them out when I can watch them and I didn’t have the chance yesterday and she was walking just fine so it happens sometime either last night or this morning

Attachments

• 4E94D4A0-6F99-4238-B02C-850FB676D7E8.jpeg
    4E94D4A0-6F99-4238-B02C-850FB676D7E8.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 2
Hard to say what may be going on, but we all know Pekins at any age can come down with a niacin deficiency so I would start there with the Durvet liquid B complex 1 ml over a small amount of treat she likes. Keep her from overdoing and right now walking as far as she was is over doing. I would also keep her from the drakes even when outside altogether while she is like this. It maybe something else entirely but we have to start somewhere. Rest, water therapy making sure she doesn't have to jump down from the pool and the B complex, and see how she is by the first of next week.

For background information, this duck was born with wry neck and still has an issue from that, but was corrected as best I could so she already has a weird gate and her neck is always weird. But other than that she has been relatively healthy and active. But today I went to the coop and I saw her not moving at all. When I approached her, she was flapping her wings and hobbling away. Usually she’s pretty fast but I was able to catch her easily, looked at her legs and her wings and her feet, but all look normal. She is also sitting away from all the ducks, when they did come up to her to get out of the coop they all ran over her and she didn’t have a reaction. Is there anything I can do besides separating her for now?
I hatched a duck with wry neck tried to correct it but couldn’t find one of the meds but she still thriving and having a good time with all of her house mates since June of 2020

Hard to say what may be going on, but we all know Pekins at any age can come down with a niacin deficiency so I would start there with the Durvet liquid B complex 1 ml over a small amount of treat she likes. Keep her from overdoing and right now walking as far as she was is over doing. I would also keep her from the drakes even when outside altogether while she is like this. It maybe something else entirely but we have to start somewhere. Rest, water therapy making sure she doesn't have to jump down from the pool and the B complex, and see how she is by the first of next week.
I have her in a medium dog crate with some food and water but today her leg is still the same. I got her the poultry cell which had B12, but I couldn’t get the just B12. The local Feed store is out of that supplement. I also placed her in the pool today and let her clean herself. I also helped by using the hose to wash down the part she couldn’t reach, and then I lifted her up and dried her with a towel. Do you have any other suggestions on what I can try?

I have her in a medium dog crate with some food and water but today her leg is still the same. I got her the poultry cell which had B12, but I couldn’t get the just B12. The local Feed store is out of that supplement. I also placed her in the pool today and let her clean herself. I also helped by using the hose to wash down the part she couldn’t reach, and then I lifted her up and dried her with a towel. Do you have any other suggestions on what I can try?
You need liquid B complex not just B12 she needs this becasue the B complex [if it is a niacin deficiency ] is the best for getting them over it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom