Duck Shoes? Help please.

Kaw

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
We have thirteen ducks. Last week I noticed one limping. On insoection I saw he gad sores on both of his feet.
I checked all of the ducks and most of them have a sore or several on their feet.
Our yard is free of debri on most of what they walk on is covered in straw.
Hiwever they need to cross large stepping stone size rocks to get in and out of the pond.
They also step up and down to get onto our cement patio.
I need to find the cause and orevent infection.

We have sprayed their feet with OTC Vetricyn Plus for poultry nightly for three nights and some wounds are looking better.

What are your thoughts as to causes?
Please share any experience and treatment suggestions. I am worried about infection and hiw to prevent this in the future.
My thoughts are
Perhaps on cold days the rocks where they stand sometimes, with wet feet are suffering frost bite or get stuck to the rocks?
Maybe the edge of the cement patio, which they trip up or down over sometimes is causing damage?
We use a deep layer method in our coop. They get fresh hay in top every night. Should we clean it all out now so their feet are on clean hay? (it’s so cold out I would rather not start over as they have a thick barrier between them and the ground, I also think new bedding will quickly become soiled too, but maybe current bedding has bacteria from sire feet?)...
I can use your experience now.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 837DA960-0064-44EB-8418-63DECFE60B44.jpeg
    837DA960-0064-44EB-8418-63DECFE60B44.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 3
  • A6DD6D86-0119-42C7-8D29-E83C996B1089.jpeg
    A6DD6D86-0119-42C7-8D29-E83C996B1089.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 3
We have thirteen ducks. Last week I noticed one limping. On insoection I saw he gad sores on both of his feet.
I checked all of the ducks and most of them have a sore or several on their feet.
Our yard is free of debri on most of what they walk on is covered in straw.
Hiwever they need to cross large stepping stone size rocks to get in and out of the pond.
They also step up and down to get onto our cement patio.
I need to find the cause and orevent infection.

We have sprayed their feet with OTC Vetricyn Plus for poultry nightly for three nights and some wounds are looking better.

What are your thoughts as to causes?
Please share any experience and treatment suggestions. I am worried about infection and hiw to prevent this in the future.
My thoughts are
Perhaps on cold days the rocks where they stand sometimes, with wet feet are suffering frost bite or get stuck to the rocks?
Maybe the edge of the cement patio, which they trip up or down over sometimes is causing damage?
We use a deep layer method in our coop. They get fresh hay in top every night. Should we clean it all out now so their feet are on clean hay? (it’s so cold out I would rather not start over as they have a thick barrier between them and the ground, I also think new bedding will quickly become soiled too, but maybe current bedding has bacteria from sire feet?)...
I can use your experience now.
Thank you in advance.
I’m not much help but I do have one less duck then you haha. Here I’ll call for a professional.
@Isaac 0

Back
Top Bottom