Duck Shoes NOW AVAILABLE for sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm finally making good on my threats to make duck shoes. After some experimentation with materials and patterns, I devised a few different types...

Why make duck shoes? Well, i was first inspired to make them for my duck Ming Mei, who has bouts of bumblefoot problems. I needed something she could wear everyday while healing that can get wet/dirty and help hold her bandages on. Oh and be easily washed/dried. So I came up with these shoes. Ducks shoes are intended for ducks with injuries to their feet/toes/nails. They also are meant for ducks who are susceptible to ouchies on their feet as well (my ducks have pretty pretty princess feet that often get scabs/cuts when we go for walks and they insist on walking on the concrete.) They help hold bandages on, keep the foot drier, keep out most of the dirt/bedding they come in contact with, and also provides cushion for aching feet. Ducks with broken nails are likely to get infections, and the shoes can help keep poop and dirt away from healing wounds.

What are they made out of? Neoprene, velcro, and for some designs, elastic. Neoprene is a closed cell rubber material that has nylon fabric on both sides on the rubber. It's most often used for wet suits. Water does not penetrate through the material. The nylon can get wet like any fabric, and some water can get through seams. It doesn't make the shoe completely waterproof, but it does keep a significant amount of moisture away from the foot. The outside of the shoes are sprayed with a silicone spray (like the kind for suede shoes) to also help keep water out. The neoprene is easily washed and dried. They should be hand washed in a sink with some hand soap and allowed to hang dry, though you can throw them in the washer and dryer. They will last longer being hand washed. the bottoms have a marterial on to help prevent them from slipping.

What types of shoe are there? Well, there are three types so far. An open toe shoe, a closed toe shoe, and a baby shoe. The following is a description of the shoe, and pictures of my ducks wearing them...

An open toe shoe has holes for the nails to pass through. This shoe is good for ducks with bumblefoot or scabs who are in a pen, or who have been sequestered from outside. These shoes will let more water in, and are better for dry environments. My duck ming mei has these shoes currently for her bumblefoot. She spends most of her day in her pen, in my front room, and occasionally walks for outside. The shoes are taken off for bathing.
Ming Mei with her shoes on. She can wear her shoes for 23 hours a day, taking them off only to bathe (and clean the shoes).
IMG_0037.jpg

A close up- (that green you see on her nails is nail polish... Yes i have a bird who likes to have her nails painted... She even picks out her color)
IMG_0043.jpg

A view form the bottom. Ming Mei's shoes don't yet have the material to prevent slipping... The shoe on the left has a special "nub" on the back for ming mei's broken back toe nail.
IMG_0046.jpg

Closed toe shoes completely surround the foot, including the nails. They can also enclose the back nail/toe as well. They still have an opening to allow the foot to go into the shoe and are not completely waterproof (if i made them completely waterproof, you wouldn't be able to get the foot in! lol). These shoes are better for ducks who spend a lot of time foraging or walking on damp/wet ground. If a duck has minor scabs, these shoes will help keep neosporin on the wounds while the duck goes about it's business. These shoes are also good for ducks with broke nails or hurt toes, as it will help keep it in place and will keep out most dirt/water. The cushioning of the shoe and stabilizing effect are also good for ducks with sprains. if a duck does not have an open wound or scabs but has an injury like a sprain or broken toe, the shoe can be worn in the pool.
Victor sporting the closed toe shoes- He's wearing one in blue and one in black...
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

The bottom (his also don't have the material on the bottom... I made these first and improved the design later) They little nubs haging out the back are his back toes... he broke the nails off them awhile ago and they haven't grow back yet.
IMG_0022.jpg

The back of the shoes- don't mind his wet butt, he just got out of the tub
IMG_0023.jpg

Baby shoes are made differently from adult shoes to better accommodate growing babies under 6 weeks old. They use less materials to be lighter. they also have a more open back and will fit a growing foot better. (pic to come, i forgot to take a pic and didn't remember until i uploaded the pics)

How do they go on? Well, you slide the ducks foot into the opening of the shoe by folding their foot like and accordian. You then help the nails through the holes, or into the cavities (depending on which shoe you get). A velcro straps around the side of the foot from the bottom to the top. Then the ankle wrap can be snuggly closed with velcro tabs around the ankle to help hold in place. Some cloth medical tape can then be applied around the top of the ankle part of the shoe to help keep it on and keep dirt out.

Shoes are made to order to fit your needs. If you are unsure about what type of shoe is best, you can describe your duck's problem and i will help you figure out which is best. The material i use is black on one side, blue on the other. Shoes can be made with either color on the outside, with blue being recommended for ducks who are outdoors so shoes can easily be seen from a distance (easier to see if they are still on). I make the bottoms black (the blue will stain with mud/poop/etc).

So how much are they? Adult sized shoes are $4 per shoe. Baby shoes are $6 per pair (babies should wear both shoes even if only one foot is hurt so they don't trip). Shipping is $2 to anywhere in the US, no matter how many shoes you buy (If you order 10 shoes, shipping is still just $2). I can ship to other countries, but it will be more expensive (actual shipping costs.) If you are not in the US, pm me with your location and i can tell you how much shipping will be. If you order six or more adult shoes, I'll drop the price to $3 per shoe. If you order 3 pairs or more of baby shoes, I'll drop the price to $4.50 per pair. The cost basically covers the material and the shipping (i don't plan on getting rich off of duck shoes, lol). I'll be posting this to BST later on.

I was going to wait to sell anything until my e-store was up and running, but i thought i'd offer the shoes sooner since it seems many ducks on BYC are having feet issues. I can take paypal currently. If you'd still like shoes but do not have paypal, we can work out mailing me a money order, but i won't send the shoes until i receive it. If you'd like to order shoes, PM me rather than responding in here to make sure i see it. If you have any questions, feel free to reply here or PM me.

I am also working on designs for a wing wrap made out of neoprene. It's a reusable more convenient way to fix angel wing, by holding the wings down against the body. It's a good solution to using gauze and duct tape. lol. They will also be adjustable. I don't have pictures yet, as i am waiting for another supply to come by mail. I also have another design for a leg splint made out of neoprene and a material called boning. This will keep a leg straight to heal, but is reusable, washable, and easier to put on. I'll post a new topic about wing wraps and splints once the prototypes are done and i have pictures.

I'm fairly certain the shoes will work on chickens and turkeys too (and maybe other poultry as well). If you have an injured bird that is not a duck, and would like to test the shoes for me, PM me. If you can provide your opinion, note about the fit, and photos of the bird with the shoe on that i can use on my website, I'll send you a pair for free. I'll only need to test each different poultry once, so once i have the info i need, I won't be offering them for free.... So if you are interested, PM me! I'll send free shoes for other type of poultry to the firsts who ask.

These shoes will also work on geese and male muscovies, but you'll have to take a measurement for me so insure i get the size right.

Last edited:
My ducks are having foot problems, and they look wonderful. How much would you charge for 7 pairs, and how fast can I get them? Mine our runner ducks like yours, and are about 13 weeks old, so I imagine they are pretty much full grown. Please email me and let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Those are really neat. How very creative. I hope this works out for you and all the ducks.
(wow, maybe you can become rich, should you patent these?)

thanks guys! I've been working on the design for awhile and finally got it down. My brother's girlfriend is getting me info on a patent. Though i don't think i'll be doing ducky infomercials anytime soon, lol.

Tia, I pmed you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom