Duck shoes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamdot2, Aug 18, 2011.

1. iamdot2

iamdot2 New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    I just found out that my Pekin has bumblefoot. I need some type of shoe for my baby. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to keep the medicine on and her feet clean?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    What I use for my chickens is put the med on and wrap up with gauze and tape then put a baby sock over that and put a piece of tape around the baby sock around the leg. Bad thing is you must keep it dry.

3. iamdot2

iamdot2 New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    Thank you! I never thought about a baby sock. It won't be pretty, but it'll get the job done. I just hope someone can start making the cute shoes again VERY soon!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    When one of my ducks had bumblefoot surgery, the vet wrapped her foot up real well with that stretchy vet wrap, then medical tape over that. i had to keep her dry-docked inside in a hutch until it healed. Love the baby sock idea, though.

Oh, the other thing, my vet used a slice from one of those foam pool floaties, the long stick-like ones. She fashioned a type of corn pad, with a hole where the bumblefoot sore was, then wrapped up around that. That prevents the duck from putting pressure on the wound until it heals.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Craft foam can cut as an under the footmpad as well and then wrapped in vet wrap to keep it clean. The foam would also help hold the gauze in place.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    PM me and I can give you lots of info on how to help without shoes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by