Muscovy drake
9 months old
28829789_929591657216952_514888776_n.jpg

Moe & Bow
Muscovy hen & drake
2 years old

Bow's first egg of the year
28537322_930820090427442_1935914186_n.jpg

I'm letting my silkie hen go broody & incubate this egg.

Cute! I learned recently that these guys aren't actually ducks though... Guess I should stop saying "walks like a duck quacks like a duck"

Cute! I learned recently that these guys aren't actually ducks though... Guess I should stop saying "walks like a duck quacks like a duck"

Muscovy ducks are technically recognized as ducks as far as i'm aware, I know it is often argued that they are geese or they are different from geese and ducks completely. This is thought to be true by tons of people but is not, the Muscovy duck is so different from other domestic duck breeds because other domestic duck breeds are all derived from the wild Mallard, the Muscovy duck is domesticated from a wild perching duck, with the same name, found along the coasts of Mexico and northern South America, there is even a large breeding population of wild Muscovies near Falcon Dam in Texas.

Wild Muscovies are nearly identical to domestic ones. The main difference is size and caruncles. Wild muscovies are quite a bit smaller than their domestic counterpart and sport a smoother, black caruncle. It is clear that the Muscovy is completely domesticated from the Wild Muscovy although people often argue it was cross bred with geese while being domesticated due to the large size of drake Muscovies, this is false the Muscovy has no goose characteristics besides size, all of the other traits it carries that could be considered "goose like" were inherited from the wild Muscovy. The Muscovy even carries a trait that is found in almost all ducks, the male has a different voice than the female, this is a trait even found in the Mallard and every other domestic duck. Also, the Muscovy is a perching duck that nests in tree hollows, as far as i'm aware the only other waterfowl that nests in tree hollows is the Wood duck. Muscovy ducks also have a large crest that is found in several species of ducks such as, again, the wood duck also the tufted duck. As I said before, the only reason the Muscovy is argued to be a goose or a completely different species of waterfowl is because it is not Mallard derived like every other domestic duck.

If you compare the Muscovy to other wild duck species you will find much more similarities than you would when comparing it to other geese species. Wild duck species greatly differ between each other, the many species of ducks all adapted to completely different environments. The Wild Muscovy is a tropical duck, the mallard is a northern duck, if we had a domestic species of sea duck or diving duck i'm sure people would argue it was not a species of duck because it was different than all the other breeds of domestic mallards. So to conclude, the Muscovy is a duck, it is not domesticated from the mallard like everyone else so it is a little different but it is still a duck.

Back
Top Bottom