duck space question

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
ok, so I've been given the go-ahead to clean out the back half of the old horse barn(not very big, had 3 stalls for mini-horses), anyways, it's falling apart in the very least, but still is sturdy, I want to start free-ranging everyone but the mallards this year hopefully, but I need somewhere for them to go at night and such.

originally I was going to clean out the whole back half and build a crude little block fence with a door, that whole area is 16ft long by 8ft wide, BUT I've barely got anything cleaned in there because theres alot of junk, I've got to move alot of it up into the front half of the barn, so that theres still a walk path, but theres a big glass top table in there, and a dress that needs to be taken out, or moved.

the back half (16ft x 8ft) can be split by building a block wall(two x fours nailed above one another), into a section that is exactly 8ft x 8ft.

now, this will ONLY be used at night, until I let them out in the mornings to free-range all day, so maybe 10 hours max, and it'll be dark, so they'll be sleeping.

there will be 20 ducks, and 2 geese(depending upon how stubborn the geese want to be about going into the barn at night, since they don't "flock" with the ducks. plus any babies being raised by mommas (wich I MAY build momma's their own section), and any young ducks I plan to keep next year(hopefully not many I will LOL)

so in y'alls opinion wich is better for just night housing, use the whol 16 x 8 ft, or go with the 8 x 8??

the rule of thumb is 3 square feet per duck. I would go with the 16x8. be sure it is predator proof or it will become a death trap.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom