duck squat? or something wrong?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
Ok, i have 4 ducks and a randy gander. he was trying to mate one of my ducks (blue swede mix) last week.. focusing on that one duck. This week he is enamored of one of my other ducks, and she is lying down flat, and extending her neck, while he sort of bites her head and neck... little nips... then she sort of freaks out and flaps over to the other end of the yard... then comes back and lays down again... is this some sort of 'come hither' sort of move? or is she sick? the other thing is that he tried to mount her while she was lying on the ground... not in the water.. she squirmed out from under him, and he fell over onto his side.... are my birds normal or totally strange?

The squat down - neck stretch is an open invitation to the male by the female. Sounds like your birds are young. They will figure it out! LOL

Welcome to the world of ducks/geese mating. When these breeds mate in the water and he holds her head down you think he will drowned her!! The gander may need his own lady too !

Last edited:
I am searching for an answer to one of my four 9 mo old girls. She walks around in the squatting position. This was really cute for the first few days. Now we are going on about two weeks. I have searched for an answer but can not find any reason for the squat walking behavior. Please help Here is a phot of them walking normal. I will try to snag one of the squat walker today.

Back
Top Bottom