Duck stashing eggs

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hi! I have a duck that I believe is broody. She runs out of the coop in the morning and goes into the bush to lay her egg. I have found her nest and added a few more eggs. I did try leaving a stash of eggs in the coop to try to encourage her to stay in there where she is safe, but she’s very determined not to. Should I wait until I see her sitting on them and them move them either into the coop or to a dog crate?

I don't know what your predator problem is like but here I doubt my duck would last over night sitting outside, the best thing to me would be to remove the eggs to the coop or dog crate giving her some privacy and destroy the nest placing something over it so she can't go back there to lay her eggs. .

I don't know what your predator problem is like but here I doubt my duck would last over night sitting outside, the best thing to me would be to remove the eggs to the coop or dog crate giving her some privacy and destroy the nest placing something over it so she can't go back there to lay her eggs. .
Predators are definitely a factor. Coyotes being the worst. I’ll wait until I see her sitting and try to make her a private nest in the coop.

Even if she doesn’t sit inside with this batch if you keep insisting and making sure every outside nest is destroyed she may take the hint eventually. I made cubbies inside my coop with scrap lumber laying up against the wall like half teepee that way she’s secluded some what. I’ve also used a dog crate.

Even if she doesn’t sit inside with this batch if you keep insisting and making sure every outside nest is destroyed she may take the hint eventually. I made cubbies inside my coop with scrap lumber laying up against the wall like half teepee that way she’s secluded some what. I’ve also used a dog crate.
Thank you, that's a great idea. I have to do a coop clean out tomorrow so I'll make her a nice clean, private nest and hope she gets the hint!

Back
Top Bottom