Duck suddenly died - what can I do to protect the rest of my flock?

Willowbirch

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2017
Hi, all -

My mature Pekin duck, Connie, didn't want to eat yesterday - which was odd for her - but otherwise she seemed fine. Later in the day, she was a little listless, but I didn't think anything of it.

This morning I went out to the yard and everyone else came running out of the coop - but not Connie. (By everyone else, I mean six chickens and two other ducks). A little weird that everyone was actually still *in* the coop, as they usually play in the morning sun well before I come out to see them.

I found her in her nest in the coop, breathing heavily. She didn't run from me, so I knew something was wrong. I brought her inside for a tub, thinking that perhaps she just needed some alone time, and when I picked her up I saw that her undersides were stained with a yellowish green watery poop. I put her in the tub to clean her up and she couldn't keep her head up. After a few minutes, some browinsh red mucus came out of her bill and into the water. I took her right out of the tub and put her on the bathmat to dry her off, and she went into a spasm and died right on the spot. Poor pup. I felt so badly for her! From discovery in the nest to death on the bathmat was about 15 minutes. She was in the tub for less than five minutes.

The rest of the ducks and chickens seem fine, but - omg - what if she had some kind of terrible disease that will spread to the others!? There are no vets in my area that handle ducks - can anyone advise of what I can get at the Agway to start a preventative treatment program for the rest of the gang?

Many thanks for reading this all - a very sad morning here in Massachusetts.

Very sorry for your loss. May I suggest that you contact your state veterinarian and ask about having a necropsy done?
I called Tufts Veterinary and they said that a necropsy would take eight weeks and cost $600. If my other birds are infected they'd surely be dead in eight weeks! Looking for some kind of antibiotic or other medication suggestions now.

I called Tufts Veterinary and they said that a necropsy would take eight weeks and cost $600. If my other birds are infected they'd surely be dead in eight weeks! Looking for some kind of antibiotic or other medication suggestions now.
I'm sure it's not a contagious problem. The Duck died due to egg laying issues.

Back
Top Bottom