Duck swallowed plastic bottle cap!!

duckduckgoose13

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Hello everyone! I noticed my Pekin duck carrying something in her mouth and it was a plastic bottle cap so I went to get it from her and took my eyes off her for 20 seconds bc my mom was talking to me and I look down and it’s gone? I’m hoping she just spit it out and it rolled away but I’m thinking she swallowed it only because I cannot find it anywhere but if she did swallow it she had no issue doing so. But I’m more or less worried now because I’m not sure if she will be able to pass it? Does anyone have any tips!? Normally she spits it out but maybe me trying to grab it from her encouraged her to swallow it?

Plastic is indigestible so while her gizzard may refine the piece the smaller, it'll eventually have to pass through the gastrointestinal tract. To encourage passage of the piece, one could implement mineral oil, or a food-safe lubricant into the bird's feed to help lubricate the GI tract and allow easier exiting of the piece.

Unless gavaged, you would not want to directly administer any type of oils, it should be mixed with feed, or treats. Sticking with feed pellets/crumbles, and avoiding any fibrous treats may be suggested for the next few days.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ideal-animal-health-mineral-oil-light

If you notice any abnormal behavior such as anorexia, regurgitation, abnormal stools, or lethargy seeing a veterinarian would be the suggested route to take.

Last edited:
Plastic is indigestible so while her gizzard may refine the piece the smaller, it'll eventually have to pass through the gastrointestinal tract. To encourage passage of the piece, one could implement mineral oil, or a food-safe lubricant into the bird's feed to help lubricate the GI tract and allow easier exiting of the piece.

Unless gavaged, you would not want to directly administer any type of oils, it should be mixed with feed, or treats. Sticking with feed pellets/crumbles, and avoiding any fibrous treats may be suggested for the next few days.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ideal-animal-health-mineral-oil-light

If you notice any abnormal behavior such as anorexia, regurgitation, abnormal stools, or lethargy seeing a veterinarian would be the suggested route to take.
Thank you so much! I’m not 100% she swallowed it, I literally looked up and then back down at her and she seemed to not have it anymore so I’d think I’d catch her trying to swallow it, I’m not even 100% it’s a bottle cap because I just saw something similar in her mouth BUT I will definitely keep an eye on her.
I just put them away for the night, I usually wake up and each duck laid an egg, if she is having issues passing it, would she be able to lay? So I know if I wake up and she has laid that she is okay.

I usually wake up and each duck laid an egg, if she is having issues passing it, would she be able to lay?

Having a blockage may affect proper ovulation, but would not be the only sign I would look out for. I would be particularly concerned about the signs I mentioned in my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom