Duck tape stuck to brooding chicken - help!

Alycea

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Couches, France
I have a brooding chicken that has been sitting on her nest for the past two weeks. Today she decided to go for a little stretch in the garden and promptly got some duck tape stuck to her backside. I tried to get to her to get the tape off before it got emeshed in her feathers, but to no avail. (Imagine a sort of tag game with the chicken, where the chicken was obviously more experienced.)

Now she is back in the coop, on her eggs. I can get to her there, but the tape is now truly stuck in her feathers as she has sat on it.

I have read (from a previous thread) that oil is good for getting it off, but as she is on the nest and broody, just not sure how to approach this without causing too much distress.

Any ideas or suggestions seriously welcome.

PS: Honestly I am trying not to laugh too much, whilst being worried for her.

Duck tape fixes everthing. Just a joke. If you can cut the feathers that the tape is on I would do this. Just be carful not to cut the feathers where they will bleed. Probily a two person job and small sicers .

Try it at night when she's in her sleepy mode. If you can cut them great, if not try the oil. Just gently rub it on the adhesive and it should eventually start to come off. I had to do this for an australorp that flew into a fly strip
sickbyc.gif
Is your hen fairly used to having you around and touching her? That would make it a lot easier. Just go slow and it'll come off.

Good luck.

She is not used to being handled in any way. She has no fear of me, and is willing for me to touch her whilst she is on the nest, to a point, but she is also not used to the idea of me touching her. Should be very interesting to sort this out. I think I will try oil first and see if that helps and if all else try to cut it off. I swear my chickens live to test me with their capers. Thank you for your your advice.
smile.png

Just preferably without being pecked too much - as when I tried to pull it off she thought I was going for her eggs.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom