Duck that lays green or blue eggs

I have Rouens , Swedish and Golden cascades that are laying. un shure od which ones are lying what color but I get blue. green , grey and white eggs. I also have pekins, cayugas and khais that are not laying.

This thread has been quiet for a while. I just happened to be doing some research.... I don't know either and I think I have a mutt duck here sold as a Blue Runner but its clearly a poor hatchery quality or cross. They lay eggs that rival my Ameraucanas for Robin's Egg Blue quality though and their feathers are very chocolate and blue... ?

My khaki campbells used to lay blue eggs. I have only one left now and her cycle is amazing, I don't think she is purebred but her cylce starts with this! I have also two indian runners who are blue but apparently they can lay either way!

We have a grey (officially, I guess it's a blue, though she's not purebred) runner duck who lays green eggs. Our fawn runner duck lays light grey eggs. We have a black crested one who should start laying anytime now, so I'm excited to see what color hers are. Our three girls are all different ages, so it's nice to know who's is who's.

I am really interested in eggs color for both ducks and chickens. I know that there are many factors that can influence this, both genetic and dietary. My chickens lay a rainbow of dark dark brown (Marans) to blues, pinkish, green,(Easter eggers) and now teal to brownish greens from my F1 generation olive eggers.

Up until now my ducks, whom I greatly enjoy in every other respect, have been a bit of a disappointment in the egg color category. I did get a few passably black eggs from my Cayuga girls, but this late in the season (February) the best that I get is a light to medium gray. My Blue Swedish, Rouen, Peking and Khaki Campbell girls have given loads of delicious cream to white eggs. I did get one egg around last Halloween that had an orange tint to it, but it must have been a fluke (something she ate; maybe a leftover bit of something with orange frosting??) because I have never seen another one. We give table scraps sometimes to our birds, so something may have contained some dye or something. I have no clue, what happened, but to my great disappointment it was a one time event.

I ordered some late season Silver Apppleyard ducks (eBay) and hatched them out in August. They were all white eggs. (Yes, I am a sucker for hatching eggs.) I did not have a good hatch, and only two of twelve survived. One turned out to be a drake I named "Huey" and the other one was a duck named "Huette". Appleyards are adorable ducks, they always seem to look a bit sideways at you, and I was hooked on how cute and tame they became.

Anyway as Huey grew, I began to suspect that perhaps he was not a purebred Silver Apppleyard. He looked great as a youngster, but now he is indistinguishable from my Rouen drakes. Huette was always a bit darker, but looks more like a typical Apppleyard. Just this last week I started to get blue green eggs. I have gotten 4 of them. 3 of them we ate, but I kept the best one to preserve. It can only be Huette as the other girls have all been laying for a while.

My faith has been restored, there is such as thing as "duck egg blue". I am even considering putting Huey and Huette together and incubating her eggs. I am guessing that they had different duck mothers but may have had the same drake as a father.

Huey as a youngster ...I'll see if I can find a picture of Huette

Last edited:
My little mallard lays the prettiest periwinkle blue eggs! My EE's are green with envy.
tongue2.gif
oh lol thats good man!

Back
Top Bottom