Duck - the "other" turkey

Le Canard de Barbarie

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
This is my first year extending my duck sales into Thanksgiving. Four customers have told me they will be serving duck this year for Thanksgiving. Reasons are that a turkey is just "too much bird" for just a couple people, yet they want something a little celebratory. Makes me think that a few geese will be in my line-up for next year.

We'll be processing our first ducks in a couple of weeks, for Christmas duck. As these first ones are an experiment, we aren't selling them yet, though we do sell our processed Cornish X, Bourbon Red and Midget White turkeys.

What type of ducks do you raise?

I would think duck would be on people's shopping list for christmas season holiday parties too.

When you really whant a feast fit for a KING... go for a TURDUCKHEN . Completely bone out a turkey, a duck, and a hen, then wrap the hen inside a duck then those inside a turkey ... tie them together with a butcher string, then roast. A bit of extra work but......... It is so heavenly delicous !!!

We raise Muscovy and love them.

Muscovy duck breasts

Muscovyduckbreasts.jpg

Muscovy duck sausage

ducksausage.jpg

Steve in NC

Steve, I'm going to need your recipe for duck sausage.

Aren't sauted duck breasts great? I swear I'm eating filet mignon. Then I cut potatoes into one inch cubes and brown them in the duck fat. For a rounded meal, I also stir fry vegetables in the duck fat. No wonder the big duck farms sell rendered duck fat to the high end restaraunts.

So, what do you do with the tenderloins?

I have never particularly liked the taste of duck (or goose either really), but we always had it for the holidays along with turkey. Always. Of course, all the men in my family were big hunters and we have also raised ducks continuously for probably at least 40 years. In recent years, we have not processed our own ducks (we just sell them) because my brother has ran a meat wholesale company for several years. I may go back to it though since we frequently have surplus birds, especially Mallards. Are domestic Mallards decent for meat?

Here is the recipe we use for duck sausage. For the meat we use the leg 1/4's and giblets

recipe as follows for 10 pounds of meat

10 pounds duck
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 Tablespoon white pepper
2 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoon mustard seed
1 tespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 cup finely mixed onion

I also added some allspice, and red pepper for some extra zing.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom