duck to drake ratio?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kingmt, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I have Mallards & wandering how many drakes to keep with my ducks. I have 5 ducks & 4 drakes. How many ducks to a drake should I keep for fertile eggs?

2. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    i was always told, 3-4 ducks to 1 drake. one drake is enough to get some fertile eggs, but if you want lots of fertile eggs i would probably keep 2-3 drakes and get 3-4 more ducks, if that's an option. otherwise i would think you are going to have a problem with the drakes over breeding your ducks with the ratio you have now.

3. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    I have a four to four ratio right now and thing are not going well. I have three mallard drakes and one pekin drake and two of my mallard drakes are trying to kill the third one. They've almost succeeded once. Now I have to play musical ducks all day long to make sure he is not anywhere near them as they are on a mission. I've been trying to rehome these two with no luck. I'm so frustrated with those two I'm about ready to have a duck roast. [​IMG]

4. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I try to stick to at least 3 females for every one drake, but you can always have more females if you wish [​IMG]

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

somehow we are really lucky with our 4 drake to 3 duck ratio so far...but have decided which 3 drakes to butcher now much to DS dismay....ducks are his favorite animal...but he knows we eat what we raise so he is working thru it...doing well for a 5 yr old. None of our drakes are fighting or beating up the ducks...I'm impressed.

6. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I have already gotten rid of two drakes & know more had to go but I don't want to get rid of to many. I was thinking of keeping three drakes right now. Just in case something happened to one I would still have enough to keep fertile eggs.

I don't have a problem with getting rid of them because I am glad to eat them. I just want to make every egg count because they cost so much to buy & I have such a small flock.

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I recently re-homed my one roeun drake. I wasn't wanting any fertilized eggs so I decided my girls would be better off not being jumped on all day. They are very happy these days and the backyard is a very peaceful place! I had 1 drake to 5 females. He was busy all day long!

8. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    With my runner flocks I've been quite successful every year with 1 drake per 5 hens. Had 41 naturally hatched ducklings from the fawn and white flock this year. So no fertility problem with this ratio.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you have a small flock, it is okay to keep a 1:1 ratio if they have sufficient space. Mine have the run of 10+ acres and the poor ducks still look bad. [​IMG] I think I had a bit higher drake to duck ratio, probably more like 2:1. But you only need 1 drake for that many ducks, I would keep 2 just in case. Truthfully, I'd probably keep them all, and just get more ducks, but I'm funny like that [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  10. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:I plan to hatch more but I'm sure more males will hatch with them (I haven't learned to sex an egg yet). I have 2 acres they can run but they stay on less then a acre. my ducks ack like most talk about there Cornish x Rocks. The drakes are getting very aggressive to each other though. So I will probably take the drake count down to two. Right now only one keeps getting shoved around harshly the rrest of the picking is them just acting like ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by