Duck Tractor size

Jan 2, 2023
We have a deciduous tree farm on about 7 acres. We are planning to put ducks in a movable tractor and run it between the tree rows. We were thinking of starting with 15 ducks. The plan is to sell the eggs and use the duck " fertilizer"to benefit the trees. I would love to be able to free range them but we have lots of coyotes etc. The tree farm is fenced for deer but not predator proof by any means. How big of a run would I need to keep them happy and healthy if I have to confine them all the time? Or would it be an option to lock them up at night and then let them free range till bedtime? Will they put themselves in safely if we have automatic doors? Thanks for any advice. I currently have a small personal flock that I love.

I do not think a tractor would work with more than a couple ducks unless you are moving it all day long to prevent them from being in only mud. Even then, the recommended is 2-10 square feet (.25-.5 sq m) per bird with more being better.
Yes, you can let them free range during the day. You still might lose some to predators like hawks, but not as many as at night. No, they will not reliably put themselves to bed. Mine need to be herded in most nights. They will hang around the coop, especially if there are treats though.

I do not think a tractor would work with more than a couple ducks unless you are moving it all day long to prevent them from being in only mud. Even then, the recommended is 2-10 square feet (.25-.5 sq m) per bird with more being better.
Yes, you can let them free range during the day. You still might lose some to predators like hawks, but not as many as at night. No, they will not reliably put themselves to bed. Mine need to be herded in most nights. They will hang around the coop, especially if there are treats though.
We were thinking we'd move it every day. Our farm has cover crop and/or weeds growing in the rows that the tractor would be on. Size wise we were looking at 13.5' x7' with an enclosed coop area over part of the run, but lifted up so they could access underneath...still thinking. Thanks!

Is there decent grass coverage in the orchard? If you're moving them daily, I wouldn't think it would be super nasty. I've done ducks in tractors, not as many as 15, but I moved them every day and it worked out great.

I have a duck coop/run that my ducks spend nights in and a lot of time during the day, but then also a portable tractor that I move around my yard. I have had anywhere from 6-9 ducks in it and it's about 8x12. 15 seem like too many for the size you're talking about, and much larger it will be hard to use. In a few hours my ducks will have pooped all over the tractor space and if it's wet they will dig like crazy. I would say please consider that ducks are happiest when they have a place to swim available. In my run I have a very small pond, and then I free range them when I'm supervising (I'm in the woods with a lot of predators) and they have access to a bigger pond then. Before I had that it was the blue plastic swimming pools. This is what ducks live for. Also, consider in your design that ducks are clumsy and can't walk up steep ramps. They will fall off the sides of a ramp and it's just hard for them. I know lots of chicken houses are built that way with a little area under the coop, but I don't think it's ideal for ducks. Just my personal opinion. I will attach a photo of my tractor so you. It has bird netting over the tough but it's not predator proof like their actual coop is. We only have them in the tractor when we're home and can easily see what's going on from the house.
IMG_1680.JPG

We free range our flock and at night they automatically head into the enclosure. I worked to "train" :lau them with treats every night so they go into the enclosure. Not sure what you mean by a tractor (movable enclosure??). That gets VERY labor intensive QUICKLY!!!! My experience; free range with nightly enclosure and you will be very happy as will your ducky kids. Definitely have a small pond (we sunk a 150 gallon tub close to the enclosure, heated and aerated) or a kiddie pool close as they will gravitate to that.
Good luck!!!
p.s. - we are in SW WI where it gets Cold, Snowy and variable weather. All good with my small flock of 17 in a enclosed hut of 4 x 8 and outside protection of 4 x 16.

Thanks for the ideas/advice. It seems there's not much out there for what we want to do. We fully plan on having water available for them to swim in. I have a flock of seven up at the house and nothing makes them happier than water to play in! I am quite passionate about making sure they are happy and healthy so that's why I'm gathering information. I really think it all would work if I can figure out a way for them to be safely locked up at dusk. We won't be able to physically go out there every evening at exactly the same time to lock them up. That's why we want to use a automatic run door ...but I realize that ducks aren't as dependable about that sort of thing as chickens. I have both so am familiar with their routines.

I think each location has different predator problems. I have a neighbor who has just let her ducks stay out on her pond and she's lost plenty of them during the day. Some regions have less predators. I hover over mine closely when I let them free range because we have lots of animals that can come out of the woods quickly - I've seen a bobcat try to pounce on them while they're in the tractor - plus so many bird predators.

I’d like to add that apple and pear seeds are toxic to ducks and chickens if they consume several, in an orchard it could be an issue but I don’t know what your set up is like.

We free range our flock and at night they automatically head into the enclosure. I worked to "train" :lau them with treats every night so they go into the enclosure. Not sure what you mean by a tractor (movable enclosure??). That gets VERY labor intensive QUICKLY!!!! My experience; free range with nightly enclosure and you will be very happy as will your ducky kids. Definitely have a small pond (we sunk a 150 gallon tub close to the enclosure, heated and aerated) or a kiddie pool close as they will gravitate to that.
Good luck!!!
p.s. - we are in SW WI where it gets Cold, Snowy and variable weather. All good with my small flock of 17 in a enclosed hut of 4 x 8 and outside protection of 4 x 16.
As for moving the enclosure...we were thinking we would drag it with our ranger.

Back
Top Bottom