Duck trouble

Brewer's yeast, or other niacin supplements, can take several days to weeks to really help out. If it is a nutritional problem it could take a while to fully work itself out.

Is he holding his head and wings normally? Do you think there may be poisoning possible? If that were the case, then a teaspoon of food grade activated charcoal in the water may help.

I would keep giving a lukewarm bath - no soap, just let him float for as long as you can, half an hour, or an hour, twice a day if possible to get the weight off those legs.

It is always possible the duck has an infection, but without a vet's help it is hard to say.

Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

hugs.gif

And yes his head and wings are perfectly fine there no trouble. Well since I had him swim in warm water for an hour yesterday morning and afternoon he is starting to move them around more but yesterday he was struggling to move in the water but this morning when I put him in for water therapy his legs were able to move a little more

Last edited:
Cautious optimism, here.
smile.png

I would check the legs very carefully, looking up at the top of the leg to see if any string or hair or wire may have gotten wrapped around it. Not likely, but I am trying to think of every possibility.

Sprains take many days to fully heal, inflammation can take a while to heal, too.

Well right now I checked his legs right now they seem to be normal and nothing wrong with them I only think possibility is that he sat oh his feet for so long he lost his strength

Well right now I checked his legs right now they seem to be normal and nothing wrong with them I only think possibility is that he sat oh his feet for so long he lost his strength
Good possibility on that one and if the case, water therapy is very important to help build up his strength again and take pressure off of his legs and joints.. We're rooting for him!!

Thank you guys for all your help now when he sits down he could move his legs around a little more now and he quacks really loud in the water when his little buddy is around him swimming also

Both your ducks should be getting brewers yeast added to their food, unless your feeding duck feed that already has it added in. Its high in protein as well so makes a good supplement.

Both your ducks should be getting brewers yeast added to their food, unless your feeding duck feed that already has it added in. Its high in protein as well so makes a good supplement.
All my flock gets animal grade brewers yeast added to their feed from oldesters at going on 10yrs to young ones at 5 months, .5 cups per 5lb of feed.

Okay today he is doing much better but he is still having a little trouble but for some reason my crested duck wont leave him alone he always tires to poke him

Back
Top Bottom