Duck very underweight and not eating/drinking

RavenClawPekin6

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Kilkenny, Ireland
My duck (khaki campbell) is very sick. She's only eating worms, drinking a tiny bit, not laying and only weighs 1.3kg. I brought her to the vet on 29th of September and he gave her electrolytes and antibiotics. He said to give her the antibiotics twice a day and she still hasn't got any energy to walk around, she can only sit down. What can I do?

My duck (khaki campbell) is very sick. She's only eating worms, drinking a tiny bit, not laying and only weighs 1.3kg. I brought her to the vet on 29th of September and he gave her electrolytes and antibiotics. He said to give her the antibiotics twice a day and she still hasn't got any energy to walk around, she can only sit down. What can I do? 

How old is she and what do you normally feed her?

-Kathy

Thank you for your replies.
She's 8 months old. We normally feed her layer pellets now, after about 18 weeks we moved her from starter crumb to layer pellets. We normally mix in some porridge oats into the pellets too (about 1/3 oats to 2/3 pellets).

She could walk this morning (at 07:30, it's now 14:00), but is very weak now and can't/won't walk.
We're thinking of bringing her into the warmth of the house and feeding her worms we find in our compost bin
smile.png

It's probably not something contagious, as her companion, also a Khaki Campbell, is in high spirits!

Thank you for your replies.
She's 8 months old.  We normally feed her layer pellets now, after about 18 weeks we moved her from starter crumb to layer pellets.  We normally mix in some porridge oats into the pellets too (about 1/3 oats to 2/3 pellets).

She could walk this morning (at 07:30, it's now 14:00), but is very weak now and can't/won't walk.
We're thinking of bringing her into the warmth of the house and feeding her worms we find in our compost bin :)  

It's probably not something contagious, as her companion, also a Khaki Campbell, is in high spirits!

Would be best to get her inside where it's warm. No more garden worms as they can get parasites from eating them. Did the vet de-worm her? What antibiotic did the vet give you?

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy,
We didn't ask the vet which antibiotic it was. He injected it and we dose her orally twice a day, 1.5 millilitres per dose of a clear liquid, not viscous, using a syringe without a needle.
I don't think that he dewormed her. He gave her 3 injections in total, 1 was oxytocin since we originally thought it was egg binding. He thought it wasn't egg binding but gave oxytocin just in case. 1 was an antibiotic. There was another one too but we can't remember what it was
sad.png

The electrolytes he gave orally using a crop tube.

Her feathers look perfect - are we correct in thinking that means that it's unlikely to be worms?

OK, we'll go away for a few minutes and prepare a warm box with straw, and a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, in which we can keep her in the warmth of the house for a while!

Back
Top Bottom