Duck Videos Thread!

The reason many people don't consider them true ducks is because they are so different. They don't quack, they aren't as water-repellent, they have caruncles, they roost in trees, and males don't have the curled “sex feathers.” The meat is quite different, as well. All “true” ducks originate from the Mallard, and Muscovies do not. Some people think they're closer to geese than ducks. Whatever...it doesn't really matter.

I still call them ducks, though. They act enough like a duck to be called one, whatever their technical name is. They're waterfowl, whatever the case.

About half of our flock rarely dives. These eleven ducklings love water much more than the rest of the flock.

Last edited:
The family Anatidae is a crazy mixed up bunch of birds with birds in the same genus as Mallards (Anas) that are not called ducks (such as teals*) and birds from completely different subfamilies and species called ducks (freckled duck). Spend some time surfing around starting at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatidae#Genera and you will find sooooo many cool birds (and pictures). Now I want to visit a "World Anatidae Zoo!"

While most domesticated ducks, come from Mallards, there are quite a few that are not from mallards in the wild (and very expensive personal collections). In fact experts can't even agree if the "American Black Duck" is a different species (Anas rubripes) from the Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) or if it is a subspecies. Nature doesn't always cooperate with our desire to put every thing in a neat hierarchical tree (ask the platypus).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about true duck or not true duck, just give them a great big kiss on the bill then seek medical attention for your eye they mistook for a shiny treat.

*I SOOOOO want a hottentot teal.

First video.

Troy & Tina

The family Anatidae is a crazy mixed up bunch of birds with birds in the same genus as Mallards (Anas) that are not called ducks (such as teals*) and birds from completely different subfamilies and species called ducks (freckled duck).  Spend some time surfing around starting at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatidae#Genera  and you will find sooooo many cool birds (and pictures).  Now I want to visit a "World Anatidae Zoo!"

While most domesticated ducks, come from Mallards, there are quite a few that are not from mallards in the wild (and very expensive personal collections).  In fact experts can't even agree if the "American Black Duck" is a different species (Anas rubripes) from the Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) or if it is a subspecies.  Nature doesn't always cooperate with our desire to put every thing in a neat hierarchical tree (ask the platypus). 

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about true duck or not true duck, just give them a great big kiss on the bill then seek medical attention for your eye they mistook for a shiny treat.

Tony, you did it again. You made me laugh. I always love when you post.

On a more serious note, very cool what you put in here to educate us about ducks. I am gonna read the link.

So, the platypus. Has a bill, swims, lays eggs, but is furry. Right? Do they ever move about on land? I have a beanie baby platypus.

The family Anatidae is a crazy mixed up bunch of birds with birds in the same genus as Mallards (Anas) that are not called ducks (such as teals*) and birds from completely different subfamilies and species called ducks (freckled duck).  Spend some time surfing around starting at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatidae#Genera  and you will find sooooo many cool birds (and pictures).  Now I want to visit a "World Anatidae Zoo!"

While most domesticated ducks, come from Mallards, there are quite a few that are not from mallards in the wild (and very expensive personal collections).  In fact experts can't even agree if the "American Black Duck" is a different species (Anas rubripes) from the Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) or if it is a subspecies.  Nature doesn't always cooperate with our desire to put every thing in a neat hierarchical tree (ask the platypus). 

Oh my word, me too. The bill. I want a male common shell duck. His billy is red. I never knew there were so many types of webbed birb. I need to renew my passport and get back to my world travel. When I was in New Zealand, I saw many species of webbed bird that were endemic to that region. So **** cool. I go nuts over wild birds I've never seen before.

Oh my word, me too. The bill. I want a male common shell duck. His billy is red. I never knew there were so many types of webbed birb. I need to renew my passport and get back to my world travel. When I was in New Zealand, I saw many species of webbed bird that were endemic to that region. So **** cool. I go nuts over wild birds I've never seen before.
Isn't that crazy? The Family contains ducks, geese and swans but within the family they are all over the place more like an impressionist painting than a structured tree. Mr. Shelduck sure is pretty too! You made a little puzzle out of him by calling him a shell duck.
wink.png
I think our domestic ducks are somewhat limited because most of these birbs fall under international migratory waterfowl treaties so the wild stay wild and the Mallard based ducks are what the Europeans had already domesticated. All these other ducks were probably just hunted by their local humans around the world without domesticating them prior to the treaties so they never got to be a spoiled rotten pet.
lol.png

OK, half on track (video anyway). Anyone who loves the web-footed must see the mating dance of the blue-footed boobie. They aren't in the family Anatidae at all, but they are great to watch!!!
big_smile.png

0.jpg

@Julie Bird
    Look at those gorgeous blue webs.. And that dance. 
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee, thank you for the tag Miss Lydia. Love love their bloo webs. So cute. Their faces too. They are so proud of their webs. I would be. I am surprised they cheat but it's nice they do stay with their spouse for the kids. My fave scene was when one came in for a landing in slow motion and his webs were way out in front of him.

Tony, thanks for posting it. Stunning birbs.

Back
Top Bottom