Duck Videos Thread!

I am so down. We could even have a nice meetup at the lake while the weather's still nice, maybe share a lovely potluck picnic and let the ducks go duckin' around the water's edge!

The Early Morning Tadpole Party:

A bunch of tadpoles hatched in the ducks' tub, so they decided they would absolutely not bath in it. So they set about to eradicate the invaders.
wink.png
Moon, especially, was intent on catching all the tadpoles. It made for a yummy breakfast. (We only feed them in the evening because they forage enough of their diet that they don't need it twice a day.)

0.jpg

Also, thanks everyone for posting the videos - Amykins, Sfraker, and AimToMisbehave!
smile.png

Awwww, hehe! All I could think of watching this was cookie monster's "OM NOM NOM NOM" sound :p

3-week-old Ducklings Bathing:

One young male, not finding an unoccupied tub, tries to have a bath in air!

0.jpg

The Daily Feeding Session

All sixteen ducks crowd around the feeder and wait for it to be put down. Once they start eating, little Lucky (shown in the preview below) has no chance to eat. After munching for a while, they run to the water bucket, where a short pecking order fight breaks out between Lilac and her daughter, Whisper. When everyone else has eaten, Lucky finally runs to the feeder and has her turn. (We always make sure she gets enough to eat, no matter what. Often, we hand-feed her. She's the smallest, but she's special to us.) And in the end, Captain comes back, takes a bite, and spits it all out, deciding it didn't taste good anymore.
wink.png

0.jpg

I've avoided posting videos to get "just the right thing" and have found out that will never come. I've now mastered duck language and can understand all the whispers that say, "Don't do anything cute. Mom has a camera in her hand."

This is Skylar, one of our beautiful little keepers from this year. She love to fly, and she will typically shoot right out of the top of her brooding pen when it's opened. She of course didn't cooperate yesterday because she knew I had a camera, but here's a little video.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom