Duck was attacked by a fox

shannywanny10

Hatching
Dec 8, 2015
This isn't the first time my poor duck has been attacked but it seems to of really hurt her neck! She is constantly keeping her neck in and can't open her eyes for long it looks as if her face is swollen! I gave her fresh water to see if I can catch her drink any she went near it as if she wanted some put her beak in the water but didn't actually drink any looks as though it's to painful so now I'm worried she hasn't drank at all for the last couple of days!! Since the attack she has survived almost 4 days now but I work all day so I'm unsure if she's drinking or eating I'm so worried any suggestions???? I rang a vet to see if they can home visit but they said if she does need treatment there have to take her to the vets anyway which I don't seem the point in the last time I did that my other duck died a few days later from stress I just don't know what to do! :(

Attacked by a fox* it dragged her to the bottom of the garden but managed to scare it off i really hope she gets better :(

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe take a medicine dropper and offer it to her? Don't drop it down her throat as it may cause further issues, but maybe if she's in your lap she'll be interested in drinking.

You should be able to tell if she is drinking the water in her water er will be down some. You know when something like this happens shock is what happens first which takes a while to get over, during that time they need to be kept warm and safe. Do you have her inside so she is warm and nothing can bother her, did you look for wounds and treat them? very important to clean out any open wounds so infection doesn't set in. You really need to hydrate her do what revans says and try using a dropper or needleless syringe and just dropping tiny amounts of water just inside her bill or right along the opening . Do you have any vitamins putting some in her water can help too. Please let us know of her injuries and if you can get her to drink. @shannywanny10

Thanks so much for the advice I will check her neck for wounds as I still have wound powder from the last time she got attacked her wing was cut up badly so if she does I'll use that again as seemed to work really well and I'm going to buy a syringe and try sitting her in my lap to drink water! We've put her in the garage with there pen and lots of straw and cardboard to try keep her warmer I'll update this evening of how I get on!

Thanks so much for the advice I will check her neck for wounds as I still have wound powder from the last time she got attacked her wing was cut up badly so if she does I'll use that again as seemed to work really well and I'm going to buy a syringe and try sitting her in my lap to drink water! We've put her in the garage with there pen and lots of straw and cardboard to try keep her warmer I'll update this evening of how I get on!
@shannywanny10 Look forward to an update and hoping she is feeling better today.

Update on my duck she's still just sitting there with her eyes closing a lot but I sat with her and she drank a lot of water!!! I kept prompting her until she stopped putting her beak in the water I also checked her neck for wounds but can't see any and she's moving it around find hopefully she will survive I'm getting vitimans to put in her water tomorrow but I'm just happy she drank quite a lot. Praying she makes it.

Update on my duck she's still just sitting there with her eyes closing a lot but I sat with her and she drank a lot of water!!! I kept prompting her until she stopped putting her beak in the water I also checked her neck for wounds but can't see any and she's moving it around find hopefully she will survive I'm getting vitimans to put in her water tomorrow but I'm just happy she drank quite a lot. Praying she makes it.
That's great news, has she eaten anything yet? you might try making a gruel like out of her feed and some nice warm water make it soup consistency and she may drink it. Make a small amount so not to waste if she won't take it. I am happy for you she has begun to improve though.. Vitamins will really help. Forgot to say @shannywanny10 Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
I'm unsure I don't think she has going to try that today with the food I've just sat with her again and she's drank a lot of water but she's fininding it hard to find balance on her feet I have to support her so she can stand. Put a blanket under her she's sat on right now. Getting vitimans to put in her water now aswell. And Thankyou!!!

I'm unsure I don't think she has going to try that today with the food I've just sat with her again and she's drank a lot of water but she's fininding it hard to find balance on her feet I have to support her so she can stand. Put a blanket under her she's sat on right now. Getting vitimans to put in her water now aswell. And Thankyou!!!
How do her legs look and feel? any swelling or hot areas or even places colder than others. She may have a back injury too look all along her body under feathers for any wounds that may have gotten over looked . And if you can try this and only if you can be right with her [we don't want her drowning] make a bath of some nice warm water[no soap] deep enough she can float and see how she moves in the water does she try to bath can she use her legs?

Back
Top Bottom