Duck was attacked

Ducks are extremely stoic birds. Although it looks really bad now I bet he's up and moving within a couple days. I've dealt with injuries like this several times over the years. Your biggest problem right now is going to be keeping maggots out of it. The first few days you should consider hydrotherapy. If you have a massaging shower head with a long hose that is the easiest. (You can buy them super cheap at Lowe's or Walmart if not). Or use sprayer in the kitchen sink and get that wound cleaned really well with Betadine or chlorhexaderm scrub. After He's good and dry if he's staying indoors Vetrycin is good but if he's staying outdoors I use Blu-Kote (if you've never used that wear gloves and spray or dip in an open area because it's just like purple spray paint and not easy to get off of skin or clothes

Ducks are extremely stoic birds. Although it looks really bad now I bet he's up and moving within a couple days. I've dealt with injuries like this several times over the years. Your biggest problem right now is going to be keeping maggots out of it. The first few days you should consider hydrotherapy. If you have a massaging shower head with a long hose that is the easiest. (You can buy them super cheap at Lowe's or Walmart if not). Or use sprayer in the kitchen sink and get that wound cleaned really well with Betadine or chlorhexaderm scrub. After He's good and dry if he's staying indoors Vetrycin is good but if he's staying outdoors I use Blu-Kote (if you've never used that wear gloves and spray or dip in an open area because it's just like purple spray paint and not easy to get off of skin or clothes
Trust me, she's right! I did fine until I got to duck #3, lost control, she flapped her wings, knocked over the bottle and took a week to wear off my hands.
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG

Brought Jerri (the Pekin) in to see Sequoia (the injured Khaki Campbell). Last night was rough on both of them. It was the first night they've spent apart since we brought them home at 2 days old. I'm sure Jerri thought Sequoia had died. Listening to the excited chatter was too cute not to share. Jerri isn't going to be happy with me when I take her back out to the coop. Not going to keep them together, just wanted Jerri to see that Sequoia was still alive.

I was going to suggest violet spray as its called in uk but It looks like you have everything covered - spoil her for a week she will be fine "its only a flesh wound"

Don't be too harsh with your dogs - they are only doing whats natural but when things start flapping and running, animal instinct kicks in

Brought Jerri (the Pekin) in to see Sequoia (the injured Khaki Campbell). Last night was rough on both of them. It was the first night they've spent apart since we brought them home at 2 days old. I'm sure Jerri thought Sequoia had died. Listening to the excited chatter was too cute not to share. Jerri isn't going to be happy with me when I take her back out to the coop. Not going to keep them together, just wanted Jerri to see that Sequoia was still alive.
Keeping my ducks together, even separated by cage wires or cardboard, was an important part of their recovery. All of mine had some injuries, but the most seriously injured one really needed her sisters within sight and hearing, even though at first, we had to protect her from one of the others who initially picked on her because she thought the injuries were mortal. (They probably would have been without vet care.) For a while, I had the most injured in one side of the bathtub with the other two together in the other side. But the most injured one didn’t really start perking up until I switched and put the sister who hadn’t picked on her in the ICU side—even though they were only being separated by cardboard that they could see over. Being with her flock gave her the will to live and the feeling of comfort and safety she needed.

So, your efforts to give your ducks flock time together are an important part of recovery and are worth the trouble until they can be safely reunited outdoors.

Keep it quiet will help her stress. Give her some TLC. Some treats, extra attention can make a difference. Protein. Clean water. Some spinach in the water bowl. Pamper her. Sometimes they just need some TLC to pull through. And indoors for sure! And cage where she can't move too much. Keep flies out. And clean wounds daily. Keep rinsing. I got stuff from a vet but you can find quite a bit from a good farm store or similar.

Back
Top Bottom