duck wheezing and sneezing

Many times when ducks /ducklings drink water will come out of their nares. Is the fluid thick like mucus?
Can you explain your brooder set up and what you using for bedding? is it dry I mean it isn't soaking wet which can cause mold and bacteria to grow?
What are you feeding them and are you supplementing niacin since if your using food for poultry and not duck specific it most likely doesn't have enough niacin in it. I don't buy duck specific feed but poultry feed and i supplement with Nutritional yeast.
You could put some ACV with mother in their drinking water it's 1 Tab per gallon ACV can kill some bacteria. Other than a vet looking at them. And possibly you trying to get a video of your ducklings here so we can see what is going on. They may need an antibiotic but in Poland you may need a vet for that.
:welcome

Many times when ducks /ducklings drink water will come out of their nares. Is the fluid thick like mucus?
Can you explain your brooder set up and what you using for bedding? is it dry I mean it isn't soaking wet which can cause mold and bacteria to grow?
What are you feeding them and are you supplementing niacin since if your using food for poultry and not duck specific it most likely doesn't have enough niacin in it. I don't buy duck specific feed but poultry feed and i supplement with Nutritional yeast.
You could put some ACV with mother in their drinking water it's 1 Tab per gallon ACV can kill some bacteria. Other than a vet looking at them. And possibly you trying to get a video of your ducklings here so we can see what is going on. They may need an antibiotic but in Poland you may need a vet for that.
:welcome
it's not thick, looks like water so that might be it but the duck panting when it's not even that hot is weird still

they have previous year straw (not like used or something, just from last year because it's too early for fresh straw) as bedding, they straw was stored in a dry place with good air flow, and when i let them outside i leave the door open so all the water they splashed dries so i don't think it gets moldy now, but when it was too cold for them to go outside it stayed wet for a few days so that could be the cause D: i add more straw when needed

when i bought my ducks the same people sold me chicken food so maybe you're right, i got them duck food already but i still mix it with chicken food (i know i can't change it too fast)

i think it's also important that one of them left a really watery poop on my stairs >:[ i think the panting one did it but most of the time their poop is normal so idk why

i'll try uploading something and showing here when it's done, thx for help :)

It’s hard to find duck specific feed here in many places and ordering I on line is cost I prohibitive for many of us. So that’s great you can get duck feed. And I mixing is fine but it will cut down on the niacin so if you can get Nutritional yeast and use it? Watery poop can mean sickness or something they are eating or ate. If I went by the poop I see I’d swear something was wrong with mine since mine forage on over a half acre and no telling what all they eat in bugs etc their poop can look different just about everyday. And V drinking I as V much I water as they do cause watery I poo too. Not saying it isn’t something to be concerned I about If they are lethargic and off feed then time to worry. What breed are your ducklings?

It’s hard to find duck specific feed here in many places and ordering I on line is cost I prohibitive for many of us. So that’s great you can get duck feed. And I mixing is fine but it will cut down on the niacin so if you can get Nutritional yeast and use it? Watery poop can mean sickness or something they are eating or ate. If I went by the poop I see I’d swear something was wrong with mine since mine forage on over a half acre and no telling what all they eat in bugs etc their poop can look different just about everyday. And V drinking I as V much I water as they do cause watery I poo too. Not saying it isn’t something to be concerned I about If they are lethargic and off feed then time to worry. What breed are your ducklings?
i will try to get it, thanks. they are probably mulards

nutritional yeast is the same thing people eat as fake cheese??
Its used in meals and sauces to make a cheesy flavour as a vegan supplement, yes. Just make sure its nutritious yeast and not bread yeast. It usually comes as flakes or powder.
How often do you change out/throw out the bedding? Ducks make a lot of poopy watery mess, so its inportant to change the bedding, not just let it dry.

Its used in meals and sauces to make a cheesy flavour as a vegan supplement, yes. Just make sure its nutritious yeast and not bread yeast. It usually comes as flakes or powder.
How often do you change out/throw out the bedding? Ducks make a lot of poopy watery mess, so its inportant to change the bedding, not just let it dry.
i just add more straw, is that fine or should i be changing it instead of adding

i just add more straw, is that fine or should i be changing it instead of adding
how big is their set up? Could you get a photo?
More than likely areas of the straw will need replacing each day, areas that carry a lot of poop/water. If there is just more straw on top, eventually it will start going bad and stinky underneath

how big is their set up? Could you get a photo?
More than likely areas of the straw will need replacing each day, areas that carry a lot of poop/water. If there is just more straw on top, eventually it will start going bad and stinky underneath

IMG_20220722_174622517.jpg

i know it's not looking very good but that's because it's firewood and duck setup at once but this was the best place for them :0 i will change the poopy straw tomorrow then

View attachment 3195717

i know it's not looking very good but that's because it's firewood and duck setup at once but this was the best place for them :0 i will change the poopy straw tomorrow then
it does seem a little hazardous for ducklings perhaps, but I'm used to being overly cautious with my girls!
Its a big space so Im sure it doesnt get too bad in there too quickly, I would definitely still be doing spot cleans though- that is, just removing the soiled soggy straw/shavings, before putting fresh down.

Back
Top Bottom