Duck wheezing and watery eyes

Newduckmom21

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
Can someone tell me in simple easy step by step instructions how to use this. Lol Those instructions kind of scare me I’m gonna hurt her. and will this fix it or will I need to try and find a vet? I have a disabled (leg turned all the way inward) duck that just started wheezing and eyes are watery and slightly pink on edge. I think it might be the start of respiratory infection. She has kind of wet feather she has a oil gland and it has oil but she can’t bend to properly reach it but she loves swimming and I blow dry her feathers the best I can with out burning her. If any one has suggestions on how to help her with that would be great. Thank you to anyone that can help
881AEE0D-34ED-4A22-B031-10A63946A719.jpeg
82241D02-9DD2-4FE2-AFB3-C2CB328ECB26.jpeg

Can someone tell me in simple easy step by step instructions how to use this. Lol Those instructions kind of scare me I’m gonna hurt her. and will this fix it or will I need to try and find a vet? I have a disabled (leg turned all the way inward) duck that just started wheezing and eyes are watery and slightly pink on edge. I think it might be the start of respiratory infection. She has kind of wet feather she has a oil gland and it has oil but she can’t bend to properly reach it but she loves swimming and I blow dry her feathers the best I can with out burning her. If any one has suggestions on how to help her with that would be great. Thank you to anyone that can helpView attachment 2765369View attachment 2765370
I've never used that stuff so I can't say if it will help or not but those directions sound crazy to me too.
Can you post some pictures of the duck? How old is she?

I mean I know what the cleft is..I just never heard of putting anything in there.
"Until it comes out of the corner of each eye":eek:
978-1-59745-279-3_11_Fig2_HTML.jpg

I've never read the directions. Wow.
I place some on nares with a qtip, place some under the wings, and a few drops in water. Admittedly, I've only done so for chickens not my ducks.

Edited to add, it is like a vicks vapor rub for poultry - it will help clear up nasal passages, but it's not a fix for something serious.

It would be better to address the underlying cause of the symptom rather than to treat with a product with very limited/no research to back its claims of effectiveness.
Duck respiratory conditions can be the result of several problems, including environmental, bacterial, viral, and also any condition that creates internal pressure within the body.
Taking her to a vet experienced with birds may be best; if you would like we can take a look, just upload a video of the bird exhibiting the symptoms you mention.

It would be better to address the underlying cause of the symptom rather than to treat with a product with very limited/no research to back its claims of effectiveness.
Duck respiratory conditions can be the result of several problems, including environmental, bacterial, viral, and also any condition that creates internal pressure within the body.
Taking her to a vet experienced with birds may be best; if you would like we can take a look, just upload a video of the bird exhibiting the symptoms you mention.
Isaac, have you ever used that vet rx in that way? I think I would be scared to try that.

Isaac, have you ever used that vet rx in that way? I think I would be scared to try that.
No, I have not.
The directions are confusing and IMO, illustrate a dangerous way to apply the medication. They are suggesting directly applying the VetRX to the (choanal slit/cleft?), which could easily drip down into the trachea and aspirate the bird if the owner is not careful.
In the rare case, I would use this, I would apply a dilute form around the nares.

No, I have not.
The directions are confusing and IMO, illustrate a dangerous way to apply the medication. They are suggesting directly applying the VetRX to the (choanal slit/cleft?), which could easily drip down into the trachea and aspirate the bird if the owner is not careful.
In the rare case, I would use this, I would apply a dilute form around the nares.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If you had enough liquid on that cotton swab for it to actually come out the eyes..
That sounds to me like you'd be taking a big chance of it dripping.

Back
Top Bottom