Duck Wing is Bleeding

joonpiter

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2021
One of my ducks is currently molding and she does not have any feathers on her wings if that makes sense. She likes to peck her non-feathered wings, so I'm pretty sure that caused her bleeding. What should I do? Is there any way I can help her?

Here you go. The pictures are a bit graphic.

Attachments

• 0722211904.jpg
    0722211904.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 0722211904b.jpg
    0722211904b.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 110
Is she in pain when you touch her wing? Any injuries under or around her wing? Clean the blood up and soak it with Epsom salts and water to prevent infection. Once cleaned up examine her for maggots or any signs of maggots. Hope she gets better and update here

I'm not seeing any injuries under her wing. But she does wanna run away when I want to touch her wing, so it most likely does hurt for her. Thank you for your help! Greatly appreciate it. Will update.

This doesn't look anything like a molt. Molts are only done a few feathers at a time and are symmetrical on both sides of the animal. Birds will also never lose more than a few flight feathers on their wings at one time during a molt -- this is specifically to ensure that the bird can still fly even when molting. You should also never see bare skin during a molt, as that suggests something else is at play, like parasites or plucking. I agree with @demonic, you should soak her wings with epsom salts and water, then give her a thorough examination to find out why she's pecking her wings, or who else is doing it if it isn't her.

I agree this isn't from molting and I can't imagine she is doing this to herself, which would be self-mutilation. Clean her up real good. And yes this time of year you cannot let wounds go, flies will lay eggs which means maggots will get into a wound and cause havoc. Get some better pics after you get her cleaned up. What other animals do you have?

I agree this isn't from molting and I can't imagine she is doing this to herself, which would be self-mutilation.
I've seen this with ex-battery hens and parrots, but never to this extent in fowl. Feather-plucking is the most common form of self-mutilation in birds and is usually due to stress/lack of stimulation/trauma.

The only instances where I've seen birds open wounds while self-mutilating is when they've had skin irritants or suffered severe trauma. The most common culprit for irritants is mites and other parasites.

@joonpiter is there any way for you to isolate her so you can determine if she's mutilating herself or if she's being picked on by other animals?

@ryneaeiel I might be able to, though she does like to roam around and she doesn't like being enclosed. I don't have any other animals, and I only have one other duck. I've never seen her or the other duck fight. They've always been super nice to each other and even go out to look for earthworms together.

@Miss Lydia I don't have any other animals. She pecks at her wing, as a way to make herself feel better I suppose? I can imagine it can be quite painful for her.

Back
Top Bottom