Duck wing problem.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheOLDNewChick, Jun 19, 2008.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    My muscovie I hatched back a few months ago...well, his wing feathers are all sticking out to the side kinda weird like. No, don't have a picture. No, not sure when I can get one. But yeah... and he sits down alot. At first I thought maybe they were still feathering out, but they're not. [​IMG] Anyone have this problem? What causes it? What fixes it?

2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Sounds like angel-wing which is usually caused by feeding too much high protein feed but can sometimes be genetic. Google angel wing images and see if that's what it looks like. And if he's already that old it's too late to fix it....

3. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Somewhat, except not quite that severe.

They were like that the first week after he was hatched... like I said, I figured something funky was going on with him feathering out...

4. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

It is still worth a try to fix the wing. You want to get some vet wrap and wrap the wing into a correct position. Then cut out the leg of some pantyhose and put this over his body like a body stocking. Make sure he can walk and eat but that his wings are in a correct position. The body stocking will help keep him from taking the wrap off his wing (which they can do in seconds it seems!). Let him wear this 4 days. Then take it off to see if he's looking better. If he's not cured, do another 3-4 days and check again. If he's young enough (say 2-3 months) you may be able to correct the wing this way. If you don't see improvement after a week to 10 days, it's permanent. He will certainly pout and I wouldn't let him in the pond during the treatment but it woudl be worth some unhappiness to fix his wings. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by