Duck with a lump on neck

Nov 5, 2022
Hi my duck is a year and a half old she has a lump where the connection is with her head and neck is . It appeared yesterday I felt it and it feels a little hard but she is acting completely normal so I’m not sure if it’s something to be concerned about. Please let me know what you think

Attachments

• F4DB56B6-0520-46B2-8CFF-507EF768A31E.png
    F4DB56B6-0520-46B2-8CFF-507EF768A31E.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
My aunt's swan had something that looked like that and it turned out to be a benign tumor called an adenoma but that kind of thing doesn't just appear overnight. Is it possible that your duck ate a bee/wasp and was stung internally? Have you checked under her feathers for an external wound? It's rare for birds to get stung on their bodies due to their feathers but it can and does happen on occasion around the head and neck area.

If your duck is eating and drinking without issue, doesn't appear to be in any pain and is acting normal, give it a day or two before you start to worry. If the bump shrinks then it's healing. If it grows or remains the same, have a vet look at her.
Tomorrow I’m going to sit with her and fully check it out but it is a possibility it could have been a bee but did the vet removed the tumor on your aunts swan or did they just leave it. I will update you tomorrow on the actually condition of it thank you so much

Hi my duck is a year and a half old she has a lump where the connection is with her head and neck is . It appeared yesterday I felt it and it feels a little hard but she is acting completely normal so I’m not sure if it’s something to be concerned about. Please let me know what you think
My aunt's swan had something that looked like that and it turned out to be a benign tumor called an adenoma but that kind of thing doesn't just appear overnight. Is it possible that your duck ate a bee/wasp and was stung internally? Have you checked under her feathers for an external wound? It's rare for birds to get stung on their bodies due to their feathers but it can and does happen on occasion around the head and neck area.

If your duck is eating and drinking without issue, doesn't appear to be in any pain and is acting normal, give it a day or two before you start to worry. If the bump shrinks then it's healing. If it grows or remains the same, have a vet look at her.

Can you look inside to make sure nothing is lodged inside the mouth going down into the throat?
And it could be an insect bite. Yellow jackets, wasps, hornets even spiders can cause swelling like your seeing. She isn't having trouble breathing or eating?
No she is acting completely normal other than the bump being there I haven’t looked inside but I fed her some grapes and she was eating them normally and not seeming to have a problem. But it looks exactly the same today not getting any bigger or smaller . I’m going to try And look inside in a little bit thank you

Unless I missed it growing I just saw it three days ago and since then it hasn’t got bigger or smaller but I feel like she could have got stung because there are bees near the coop but I felt it and it was hard so That’s what I’m confused about. But it’s been three days so far and she still seems fine .
If she's eating and breathing okay there is probably nothing blocking her airway. But still would be a good idea and check.
You say it's hard feeling Just wondering if it could be an abscess?

@casportpony what do you think?
that’s what I’m thinking to it’s either an abscess or tumor but I’ve been letting them roam the yard more recently this week so I’m thinking it may be something she ate I’m going to actually feel it tomorrow and check inside I will keep you updated thank you again I really appreciate it

If she's eating and breathing okay there is probably nothing blocking her airway. But still would be a good idea and check.
You say it's hard feeling Just wondering if it could be an abscess?

@casportpony what do you think?

Tomorrow I’m going to sit with her and fully check it out but it is a possibility it could have been a bee but did the vet removed the tumor on your aunts swan or did they just leave it. I will update you tomorrow on the actually condition of it thank you so much
The vet removed the tumor otherwise it would have kept growing.

So it turns out it’s actually squish not hard

Back
Top Bottom