duck with a single eye issue -- eye has a white glaze, keeping it closed, but doesn't necessarily look infected.

micaelasducks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi all! This morning we noticed my blue swedish keeping her eye closed (first picture). When we started to look closer her eye appears totally glazed over and as if there is a white film covering it -- possibly we are looking at the inner eyelid? It is hard to tell what is the eye and what is the eyelid/material around it. We have started caring for her by flushing the eye with vetericyn spray and putting on polysporin, some terramycin ointment is ordered and will start that tomorrow. It perhaps looks a bit less sore this evening (second picture) -- she is not holding it closed. She is otherwise acting normal thankfully, so I wonder if this is more injury over illness? Any ideas from seeing the photos would be helpful! She lives with one other female duck and in their 8 years of life there has never been any aggression. We have a vet if needed but would prefer to try to treat at home first...

IMG_3627.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 6.27.07 PM.png

A duckling I hatched today has this same issue. Originally I thought it was just egg membrane sticking to her eyelids, but they have the same white glaze/film as your duck, and in the same position in the eye.

Here is another photo today -- still very strange to me and I can't tell what the issue is, but thankfully doesn't look *worse* (possibly better? She is holding the eye open vs closed now). Still learning towards injury vs infection. I'm assuming the "goopiness" around her eye is from the ointment, because the eye itself doesn't seem to oozing or draining. Continuing the flushing w/ vetericyn and started the terramycin ointment today.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 4.13.22 PM.png

And here is today... updating because I know it could help someone someday -- it definitely is still sore and bothering her but it sure looks more normal!

IMG_1800.JPG

Back
Top Bottom