Duck with a sore?

amshizzle

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015
Fort Worth, Texas
I have two 8 month old Pekin female ducks. The other day I was feeding and changing out water and my 6 year old wanted to pet one. I scooped one up and noticed she was missing feathers on the top of her neck and the high part of her feathers. I wasn't sure if this was a normal molt or if she was picking her feathers out?

The most alarming was a nickel-size sore that looked like chewed bubblegum at the top of her feather closest to her body. I didn't take pictures because she didn't want me poking at her any longer but this is the best way I can describe this. I would have never noticed because otherwise she seems like the same old fluffy Pekin.

Could this just be a normal molt? It is hot and we are in Texas but I am not sure the molting patterns of a duck or what this entails.

Is this a normal molt?
What about the sores? Does this happen when they molt?
Is something else potentially going on?

Last edited:
As far as I know, yes.
They both seem to have the female "honk" albeit one is quieter than the other.
I also get 2 eggs a day (sometimes a magical three).

Does this seem like a mating wound?!

Whatever you do, don’t leave the sore untreated. I just heard from a woman who was bemoaning the death of her duck after maggots got into an untreated sore on her bird.

Other than that, I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice.

Fly strike is a problem. You only have two, can you bring them in so there is no fly egg risk?

Photo's would be helpful.

Trim the feathers away from the edge of the wound. Leave the feathers about half an inch long - that way you can monitor the wound. You can rinse it a few times a day with saline solution or Vetericyn, and you can apply antibiotic cream or ointment to the spot as well.

Back
Top Bottom