Duck with abnormal leg.

May 16, 2021
Hi, I was given this duck from a friend. She says the duck was born with this leg and had this leg ever since it hatched. Is it it possible I could fix her leg? If so how can I fix her leg.Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• 2006C57C-032E-426A-8D79-C539020CE96D.jpeg
    2006C57C-032E-426A-8D79-C539020CE96D.jpeg
    746.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 448104AD-9224-4095-9B65-4FFEED0E1D15.jpeg
    448104AD-9224-4095-9B65-4FFEED0E1D15.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 2
If born that way, most likely there isn't a fix. That looks quite severe and the duckling looks to be weeks old. A splint might work as it is still growing; but, if it had been applied from the beginning the outcome would have been better. However, since it's fairly young, make sure to supplement with extra niacin to prevent any further issues.
What breed?

Last edited:
It does look pretty twisted but I'd still try and help it from getting worse. Go to TSC and pick up liquid B complex it will say injectable but you want to give it orally. 1 ml over a tasty treat to make sure it gets the full dose. Lots of water therapy can help to strengthen the leg muscles. Warm water with one so young.

I will add sometimes ducklings hatch with a deficiencies because of poor nutrition of the breeder hen. It may be hard to fix at this point because usually this is something you splint and dose with niacin day 1, but since she is still young I agree with the other the liquid B complex. If you do decide to attempt to splint the leg attempt to splint the leg slowly. Slowly as in don't try to twist it straight day 1 in a splint.

If born that way, most likely there isn't a fix. That looks quite severe and the duckling looks to be weeks old. A splint might work as it is still growing; but, if it had been applied from the beginning the outcome would have been better. However, since it's fairly young, make sure to supplement with extra niacin to prevent any further issues.
What breed?
Yes it still growing

What breed?
Runner duck

Back
Top Bottom