Duck with botulism. HELP

I took the wrapping off and her foot is now the same as the other. I must of put it too tight..i can’t do anything right..! ughh! one of my family members is almost home from work. I’m going to see if he can wrap it. Something weird is that her foot was already purple before i put the wrapping but the wrapping did make it more purple. However now her foot is the same color as the other one. I have no idea what’s going on. :(

For Botulism in Ducks, an added medicine was suggested to me by Denver Wild Bird Info & Rehabilitation when 4 ducks of 5 in our public pond died from the natural botulism toxin caused by letting dead fish float on a pond used by ducks:
Miasm-CF available in some Sprouts and other healthfood stores.
In addition to the epsom salts water 1:4 ratio.

Although Cornell and other websites state that ducks should be treated with Botulism Anti-Toxin for the C Strain,
the state of Florida wouldn't provide to our muscovies since they are not native to Florida. Fish & Wildlife thought anti-toxin might be provided to Canada geese, fyi. None of the North Florida hospitals that treat birds (including UF Gainesville) had access to the anti-toxine.

So the above two treatments, along with getting them to eat small pieces of bread in water are one avenue for this horrible disease. FYI most ducks, once found partly paralyzed with bowing necks don't last 48 hrs without treatment. It depends on how much of the toxified pond material they ate as to whether they have a chance. They need to be on changed wee wee pads and bathed, toweled and blanketed too to keep them warm. I nursed one through only but before I learned of the above medicines. Wishing you the best outcome.

For Botulism in Ducks, an added medicine was suggested to me by Denver Wild Bird Info & Rehabilitation when 4 ducks of 5 in our public pond died from the natural botulism toxin caused by letting dead fish float on a pond used by ducks:
Miasm-CF available in some Sprouts and other healthfood stores.
In addition to the epsom salts water 1:4 ratio.

Although Cornell and other websites state that ducks should be treated with Botulism Anti-Toxin for the C Strain,
the state of Florida wouldn't provide to our muscovies since they are not native to Florida. Fish & Wildlife thought anti-toxin might be provided to Canada geese, fyi. None of the North Florida hospitals that treat birds (including UF Gainesville) had access to the anti-toxine.

So the above two treatments, along with getting them to eat small pieces of bread in water are one avenue for this horrible disease. FYI most ducks, once found partly paralyzed with bowing necks don't last 48 hrs without treatment. It depends on how much of the toxified pond material they ate as to whether they have a chance. They need to be on changed wee wee pads and bathed, toweled and blanketed too to keep them warm. I nursed one through only but before I learned of the above medicines. Wishing you the best outcome.

Welcome to BYC. Luckily, this occurred earlier this summer, but thanks for sharing your experience.

Thank you for everyone that helped. It wasn’t till five days later that we realized it was her leg. Wecould never splint her leg because we did not know where the fracture was. We checked from toes to the top of her leg and wouldn’t flinch or anything when we touched her. We had her on ibreprofen for the first few days until she didn’t show any signs of pain. We had a isolated for a very long time. She is walking so much better and now I learned to never let them go to the lake without me actually watching them. Whatever happened to her is still unknown. We have no idea what happened to her but I’m thankful she is still alive.

Back
Top Bottom