Duck with broken leg

Thank you so much. And I will keep everyone updated. The wheelchair works but it is not easy. And when she out of the chair, she tries to stand sometimes and loses balance.This time she kinda scraped her feathers and it drew some blood. We are trying to keep her in the chair as long as possible because it's the best way to keep her immobilized, other than that one foot she uses to move around.

We are contacting all vets to see who is willing to operate on her and at what cost. And are also seeking donations from friends and family. Hopefully we can get enough together for an operation.

Here are two videos of the love bugs. One of me with Lily and Olive and the other is one of my husband with them.

Enjoy!
:love love the videos!

Yeah, we have a set limit already decided, but that is also including the possibility of amputation if it doesn't set.

I researched and discovered that ducks heal fast. I am hoping (along with the vet) that with the 3d printed cast/splint and wheel chair, that it will heal. We have a follow up x-ray in 2 weeks.

She has some pain meds to help and antibiotics. She is acting pretty normal other than the broken leg and is a lot happier that she is back home. The doctor and I don't think euthanasia is needed yet.

Has anyone have a duck leg heal without the surgery? Or last case scenario, how has a duck gotten along with an amputated leg?
We have had two with this situation. One had no foot...does great. The other was my goose.. had amputation from knee down. Had a cart. He didn’t like it. He did very well for awhile. He kept up will the rest. Then his good leg got tired. I tried PT with him, in water, etc. I then put him in with our rabbits who lived in a mobile cage on the ground called a tractor. They all loved it and Stubs was happy. I moved him a ton. But, eventually his disablity got the better of him. We had to put him down. Now our duck with no foot is a call duck..they are small. Her leg grew a hard callous over the joint and she is able to use the stub to get around great. She is slower but happy. She is very much happy and a real stinker of a duck! Lol. I don’t regret going through everything with Stubs. I only regret that I didn’t realize he had soo much pain in the end. He always made a lot of noise, so I thought it was his normal playing. It was not. The duck will always require special care. The other ducks may not accept him. My ducks did not, and that is why Stubs had to live with the rabbits. We were not spending more money on, one animal, when we have more than 100. Stubs needed hand-fed for months. Please realize I am NOT discouraging you. I am simply trying to let you see the two very different scenarios we had on my farm. Good luck and I hope your duck is happy during this process.

I always love to hear when others are able to do surgeries on these precious animals! So I’m very glad for you! Please take many pictures of her PT to let us all see the process, and, perhaps, persuade some of to go that route in the future! :)

Surgery scheduled for Friday!

Also here are some pictures of Lily after bath time.

IMG_20191204_203036803~2.jpg IMG_20191204_203051405.jpg IMG_20191204_203116768.jpg

Lily is back home after the surgery! We had to limit her moving space. Here is our poor girl, they plucked her leg. :(

Will her feathers grow back?

IMG_20191206_181107998.jpg

She's a little stressed and I think shocked by it all. She's sleeping in her cage next to her sister. It's a comfort to both of them to quack to one another and be close.

Surgery went well, 2 pins and a rod on the outside. We have a follow up in two weeks, along with an x-ray to check if it's healing nicely. Luckily, we have pain meds and antibiotics to keep her happy.

I also wanted to share with everyone about something I found. Nationwide has a exotic pet insurance. They cover ducks. For around $15, you have 90% coverage on any issues that isn't pre-existing. And a discount for every animal you add. I just purchased insurance for all 4 to make sure they can get all the medical care they need and not have to break the bank.

My sister used them for her rabbit, and when he got sick, the insurance covered most of it.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom