Duck with crazy head flipping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazycateye, Aug 14, 2016.

1. crazycateye

crazycateye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    I came home this evening and as I always do looked in the bird house to check on all of my feathered babies. I found my male welsh harloquin duck with his head flipped back and he was throwing it from side to side. I immediately grabbed him to investigate and somehow it flipped back in the normal position. I put him back down and by the time I turned around he had it backwards swaying again. I grabbed him up and brought him inside and put him into a cool bathtub and gave him electrolytes and food. He immediately started playing and acting like nothing was wrong. Can anyone please tell me what the heck happened? I went back out and grabbed my girls and threw them in too just in case.

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Is it possible for you to get a pic (or better yet, video) of this behavior? Is he still doing it?

3. crazycateye

crazycateye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Well so far he hasn't done it again. Hopefully it was a one time thing!

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    You think maybe he had an itchy eye or something and was trying to scratch/rub it on his back? I've seen my ducks do that before and it can look pretty frantic sometimes if they get a bug or something in their eye. Well, whatever it was, I'm glad he's not doing it anymore and seems ok now. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by