Duck with dislocated knee

ThatGirlChick

Chirping
Sep 17, 2019
North Carolina, USA
Hi all -

I posted yesterday about my duck having potiential bumblefoot and ended up purchasing a buttload of stuff to assist with that. Giving him a bath this afternoon, I started paying closer attention to his leg and noticed what looks like a possible dislocated knee? It's like his leg goes the other way, vs normal. I found a vet that sees ducks, but it's not till friday. After they confirm what it is, what's the best way to wrap his leg? Should I wrap it up to his body and basically make it to where he can't move, essentially laying him in front of his food and water so he doesn't have to travel far/move at all? Anybody else have a duck with a dislocated knee? Did they heal or did you end up having to put them to sleep?

Knee or ankle/hock?
anatomy-of-duck-leg-backyard-chickens.jpg

leg anatomy_1.jpg

Ankle hock, but when I say that, must people look at me like I'm dumb
I don't think you're stupid. :hugs

I've seen fracture just above an just below that joint and with proper wrapping they can heal. It would be best if you could get him now and take pictures. If his leg is broken and the foot is pointing the wrong way you need to deal with it tonight, not tomorrow.

I don't think you're stupid. :hugs

I've seen fracture just above an just below that joint and with proper wrapping they can heal. It would be best if you could get him now and take pictures. If his leg is broken and the foot is pointing the wrong way you need to deal with it tonight, not tomorrow.
His leg has been like this since we picked him up last weekend, its only gotten progressively worse in the last few days.

His leg has been like this since we picked him up last weekend, its only gotten progressively worse in the last few days.
Have you heard of slipped tendon or perosis? I think that might be what you're seeing. They start off limping and get progressively worse as the leg begins to rotate. In severe cases, the leg will rotate 180 degrees.

How old is the duck?

Have you heard of slipped tendon or perosis? I think that might be what you're seeing. They start off limping and get progressively worse as the leg begins to rotate. In severe cases, the leg will rotate 180 degrees.

How old is the duck?
6 weeks old. All 4 ducks that we picked up were suffering from niacin deficiency, so I picked up brewer's yeast and then yesterday purchased complex b vitamin

Back
Top Bottom