Duck with eye infection - has anyone had a good outcome?

KatieAnnFrench

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
My duck has an eye infection and it's pretty bad, we took her to the vet and have had her on oral antibiotics and a painkiller 2x/day, and eye cream 4x/day, for a few days now, but it hasn't gotten better. The last few days she's been very sleepy, like she'll just doze off while standing in her pool and sleep more than our other duck while standing up. I'm not sure if this is due to the painkiller or the infection itself. Has anyone had this with their duck and had a good outcome? I know we're doing everything we can to help her but I'm worried about her. The vet said she may lose her vision in that eye :( which breaks my heart.

What is in the eye cream? is it Terramycin? the pain killer may be making her want to sleep. Can you post a picture of her? Do you know how she injured her eye? My Muscovy duck was attacked and lost vision in one of her eyes, took her a little time to get use to seeing out of one eye but she does great. Hopefully once the eye infection clears up on your duck she'll still have her vision, but if she doesn't she'll adapt they are great at it.

What is in the eye cream? is it Terramycin? the pain killer may be making her want to sleep. Can you post a picture of her? Do you know how she injured her eye? My Muscovy duck was attacked and lost vision in one of her eyes, took her a little time to get use to seeing out of one eye but she does great. Hopefully once the eye infection clears up on your duck she'll still have her vision, but if she doesn't she'll adapt they are great at it.
The eye cream is called 'neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and bacitracin zinc ophthalmic ointment'. I don't have a picture but she looks normal except for her closed eye and sleepiness. I suspect she got pecked by another bird, the infection started off pretty mild but progressed quickly. The vet said it's combined with a sinus infection :( Good to know that they can do well with vision in one eye, that's my major concern. Thank you!

Good thing she is on an antibiotic if she has a sinus infection. I hope she gets over it soon. Have you rinsed her eye with a saline rinse for eyes? Recipes on line. That may help to get the infection gone.

Back
Top Bottom