Duck With Fleas!!!!

CityChick15

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
HELP!! My Rosie (7 week old Indian Runner) HAS FLEAS!!! What is the best way to get rid of them?!!?? Are there any safe treatments? She lives in a coop with three Chickens and one other Duck. I don't have any dogs or cats, there are a few cats that lurk around the coop, could they be getting the fleas from the felines??

WHAT DO I DO??

Last edited:
Ok I have hundreds of birds and mostly ducks but this is a new one on me
gig.gif

Not being mean or anything but how in the world did your duck get fleas lol
Dust them with DE and it should get rid of them.

Quote:
I have no clue how she got them!

I'm sure its her, shes with me at the office today and one jumped on my hand. Her bedding is a mix of DE and pine, I thought that would take care of any potential issues. I guess if dogs and cats can get fleas so can ducks... RIGHT????

They can get them but it's extremely rare. Try switching to cedar bedding and DE. I know, I know... everyone says not to use cedar but I've never had any trouble as long as the area is well ventilated.

They can get them but it's extremely rare. Try switching to cedar bedding and DE. I know, I know... everyone says not to use cedar but I've never had any trouble as long as the area is well ventilated.

I know people who give their chickens a bath in dog flea and tick shampoo. I don't know about your ducks though. The chickens did fine with it. Good luck!

Poultry can get fleas but it's extremely rare. Try switching her pine bedding to cedar (I know, I know... cedar is supposed to be bad but I use it without any problems. Just make sure the space is well ventilated). Also, oils in her bath water is helpful. Try lavender, cedar, or peppermint.

Poultry can get fleas but it's extremely rare. Try switching her pine bedding to cedar (I know, I know... cedar is supposed to be bad but I use it without any problems. Just make sure the space is well ventilated). Also, oils in her bath water is helpful. Try lavender, cedar, or peppermint.

Back
Top Bottom