duck with heat stroke

decomposed

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
I found my beloved Muscovy drake Pedro laying in some bushes yesterday afternoon, i saw him laying there a few hours earlier and thought all was well so i left him, when i came back he started trying to run away but he is stumbling and running into things, it was extremely hot yesterday so i rushed him into a cool room put him on a wet towel sprayed him with the hose and gave him a lot of water, he drank a lot and tried to eat some food but didn't eat much. This morning he is still just laying down he tries to run away but he can't run properly and just stumbles and bangs into things, he keeps wedging himself into the corners of the room, i'm just wondering what i can do for him, he was drinking a lot last night but he doesn't seem to be drinking much today, should i try to force him to drink some water? or should i leave him and see if he drinks by himself?

I found my beloved Muscovy drake Pedro laying in some bushes yesterday afternoon, i saw him laying there a few hours earlier and thought all was well so i left him, when i came back he started trying to run away but he is stumbling and running into things, it was extremely hot yesterday so i rushed him into a cool room put him on a wet towel sprayed him with the hose and gave him a lot of water, he drank a lot and tried to eat some food but didn't eat much. This morning he is still just laying down he tries to run away but he can't run properly and just stumbles and bangs into things, he keeps wedging himself into the corners of the room, i'm just wondering what i can do for him, he was drinking a lot last night but he doesn't seem to be drinking much today, should i try to force him to drink some water? or should i leave him and see if he drinks by himself?
Do you have any electrolytes to add to his water? if not then ACV will work too 1-2 Tab to 1 gallon of water this will hydrate him faster. Try to keep him as quiet as possible and hopefully he will recover. Are you sure it's heat stroke and not something else? not to worry you any more than you are but they hide illness so well they can be pretty bad before we know it. Could he have eaten anything that may have made him sick?

i'm pretty sure it's heat stroke, i dont have any electrolytes, i do have a bird vitamin and mineral mix, not sure if it will help or not, no apple cider vinegar either

i'm pretty sure it's heat stroke, i dont have any electrolytes, i do have a bird vitamin and mineral mix, not sure if it will help or not, no apple cider vinegar either

Put that into his water a boost right now will help. Are you keeping him quiet and calm?

this is from Majestic water fowl

Preventing & Treating Heat Stroke
This summer has brought us some extreme heat and we know our southern friends have had it even worse than us. Remember to protect your flock from heat stroke in this hot weather by providing plenty of shade. Be sure to change out water buckets and kiddy pools frequently with cold water to help them cool off. Many of our flock members enjoy being sprayed with cold water from the hose, while others prefer to relax beneath our misting system. If your pond water is warm, you will need to put out kiddy pools filled with cold water and change them out as needed to prevent the water from warming.
In some regions it may become necessary to bring your flock members into an air-conditioned barn during the hottest hours of the day. They may protest, but it's for their own good.
If you see your duck or goose panting excessively, continually lifting their wings up and down (in an "airing their armpits" motion), standing motionless directly under misters for long periods of time, attempting to submerge themselves in their water buckets, or acting uncharacteristically, these can all be early warning signs of heat stroke.
If your duck or goose experiences any of these symptoms, immediately remove them from the sun and heat and into a cool area. Dip their webbed feet into a cool (NOT cold) bath to SLOWLY reduce their core temperature. If this is not enough, small ice packs can be placed under their wings for up to 60 seconds and then removed for a few minutes. Continue to place on-and-off-again as needed.
If the situation persists, bring your pet to the vet for immediate assistance.

Last edited:
alrighty ill put some in his water, and yep he is in my laundry room laying on a towel i have food and water next to him

alrighty ill put some in his water, and yep he is in my laundry room laying on a towel i have food and water next to him
Good, maybe a few days of rest and hydration will bring him through, Lets hope it hasn't caused brain damage. What part of the workld are you in @decomposed ?

I hope i can save him, i love him so much, i live in NSW Australia
Please keep us updated..
fl.gif

Pedro survived another night but he still isn't doing well, i don't think he has been drinking and this is the second day he hasn't eaten, should i use a syringe and drop some vitamin and mineral water into his mouth?

Pedro survived another night but he still isn't doing well, i don't think he has been drinking and this is the second day he hasn't eaten, should i use a syringe and drop some vitamin and mineral water into his mouth?
If you want to try that keep it to the front of his mouth because trying to drip it down his throat can cause the liquid to go into his air sac. Have you ever tube fed water or feed
@casportpony can help you with this..

Back
Top Bottom